News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Better luck next time NGD...now with family pics!

Started by GermanCdn, June 04, 2014, 01:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

All right, so backstory.

It's not like I need more guitars, in fact I actually am going to start selling some more cause it's gotten way out of hand.  Nonetheless, there are still some on the want list, one of which was (note the past tense) a G&L Bluesboy (a hollow body bound swamp ash tele with a MFD bridge single coil and a SD Seth Lover neck bucker, rosewood board).

So about six months ago I was at my favourite haunt, and there was a mint used Bluesboy (not a spec of fretware, killer burst finish, c/w case and COA) that they wanted a grand for.  Now, it's about $1500 new, so that's a good deal, but it really is the top end of my tele spending limit.  Looked at it for about 30 seconds, but didn't have my hands on it nor did I block it with my body (you laugh, but I'm a big boy, and I will put my entire frame between you and the guitar if I'm thinking about it).  Some other dude reaches past me, grabs it, plugs it into a DRRI, and it sounds killer.  I lurk in near proximity to the guy, hoping he's going to put it down for just a second and I will be all over it, but no go.  Dude takes it up to the till and pays for it.  I am pissed at this point, cause I ain't going to see another one like it anytime soon.

Been stewing on that one for a few months, just about pulled the trigger online for some, but given that the Canadian dollar's taken a 10% dive over the past six months, it's been hard to justify that kind of cash.

Head out at lunch today, walk into my third favourite guitar store, where they don't know me by name but it's the same chain as the first, and there's a Bluesboy hanging on the wall.  There's no way it could be the same one, right?  Looks the same.  Ask to see the case.  Open it up, inside is the hang tag from the other store.  It's the same guitar.  F*ck yeah.

And the best part - selling price is now $700.  It's currently living in the back of my truck.  Here she is.

And with the rest of my G&L family

Top row L-R

Legacy, stock with expander (superstrat) mod.  Workhorse strat.

Hollowbody Legacy, Ltd Edition quilt top.  This is the one FedEx nearly destroyed.

Bottom row, L-R

ASAT Classic S, Butterscotch Blackguard, Swamp Ash Body, massive C profile neck, MFD neck and bridge pickups, S-500 middle pickup, five way + push pull for neck activation in all settings.  Heavy as hell, seriously probably the heaviest guitar I own.

ASAT Classic, Butterscotch Blackguard, Swamp Ash Thinline Body with no F-holes, slim neck w/ rosewood board (an odd combination for a blackguard), MFD neck and bridge pickups, graphtech saddles, modified ashtray bridge.  One of my favourite teles to play.  Sounds fantastic.

ASAT Classic, Butterscotch Blackguard, Swamp Ash Body, medium profile neck w/maple board, MFD Pickups.  Looks like a classic, plays like a modern.

ASAT Bluesboy, Sunburst, double bound thinline ash body, medium profile neck w/rosewood board, MFD bridge pickup, SD Seth Lover neck pickups.  Pickup combo is probably the most balanced I've ever played in a fat tele setup.

ASAT Z-3, Honeyburst, Swamp Ash body, medium profile neck w/maple board, locking tuners, saddlelock bridge, Z-3 pickups (hum-cancelling, as they are wound like P-bass pickups but maintaining single coil chime and tone with a lot more oomph than your standard SC).

ASAT Hollow, Swamp Ash body, medium profile neck w/rosewood board, ASAT pickups, metallic red finish.  Looks better than it sounds, my least favourite of the 8.

Keep eyes peeled, I will also be listing a bunch of guitars over the next few weeks, as I've now crossed the 80+ threshold, and even I can't justify that.  Most likely be moving my CV's and American Fenders first.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

jubal81

Great story! Looking forward to the Tele pron.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

micromegas

80+!! I don't have even the space for that many guitars!

G&Ls are awesome by the way. I have a 1992 Legacy and it is solid as a rock and plays perfectly
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

GermanCdn

Quote from: micromegas on June 04, 2014, 01:43:28 PM
80+!! I don't have even the space for that many guitars!

G&Ls are awesome by the way. I have a 1992 Legacy and it is solid as a rock and plays perfectly
I don't have room for them either, that's why I need to sell some.....
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

culturejam

Quote from: GermanCdn on June 04, 2014, 01:45:39 PM

May I recommend rolling out some sleeping bags and bedding down on top of half a dozen to save space?  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

GermanCdn

Quote from: culturejam on June 04, 2014, 01:52:47 PM
Quote from: GermanCdn on June 04, 2014, 01:45:39 PM

May I recommend rolling out some sleeping bags and bedding down on top of half a dozen to save space?  ;D

I was thinking of just building a guitar case fort in the back yard, and living in it instead.

pickdropper

I have a few G&Ls.  They are nice guitars.  I really like the Bluesboys, too.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

playpunk

American standards? I am waiting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

GermanCdn

Quote from: playpunk on June 04, 2014, 02:53:44 PM
American standards? I am waiting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, thinking of putting my 2012 Am Std Tele up, it's seriously souped up with Graphtech saddles (the steel saddles with the graphite inserts), Fender locking tuners, Dimarzio Area Neck pickup, Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue bridge pickup, sunburst w/maple board.

Also thinking of putting up my cherry Hwy 1, with SD Tapped Hot Tele and Jazz Pups, superswitch wiring, locking tuners, and compensated saddles.

Blues Healer

I have owned a number of G&L's over the years. Been to the factory to pay homage to Leo, etc., etc., ...

I don't know what's in the bridge pickup (which is critical), but the neck is a Seth Lover, and those are awesome, raw, PAF - type pickups.

All I can say is, "ya done good!"
"music heals"

gordo

I have a Hamer 25th Anniversary (sort of like a hollow body Les Paul) that has a JB in the bridge and a Seth Lover in the neck.  My goto setup with buckers is JB/PAF, but this SL is just crazy good.  I'd like to find a bridge equivalent.  Maybe that's what all the PAF fuss is about?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

GermanCdn

I think the suggested bridge pickup to go with the SL is the SH-11 (Custom 5?) in LP type guitars.  I've got a covered Custom 5/SL set tagged to go into my SC250 burst, will let you know how it turns out.

pickdropper

I've got a Custom 5 in my Baker and it does indeed sound very good.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper