News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Show us your guitar!

Started by ckim715, January 26, 2012, 03:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgmezei

I have had this one for about 6 years and put alot of gigs in on it. It is a custom 22 in Green.
I have three main axes I use but this one has first chair right now.

juansolo

Quote from: sam_c on February 17, 2012, 05:39:48 PM
Quote from: juansolo on February 17, 2012, 10:25:05 AM
Last work in progress pic I've had back from the one I'm having built... Sweeeeeet:

Is it a Strat or is it a Tele? Answer, it's going to be a Stratele!

HA!   Id recognise Wez's worktop anywhere  ;D

:D
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

cjkbug

here is a shot of my custom first act mosrite copy. alder body with a maple neck, 24 jumbo frets on an ebony fretboard. seymour duncan custom shop p-90's. surf green nitro finish. I traded first act's head luthier Bill Jancar a pretty cool tattoo for it. It sounds great for nice crunchy overdriven rock tones. tons of output and it's very resonant and sustains forever. he copied the neck profile from my favorite strat...A really comfortable soft "v" profile that is great for "thumb over the top" chord grips.

here's a terrible photo of the tat.

I got blisters on my fingers!!!

add4

wow i feel stupid ... i play guitar 1-2 hours a day .. been playing for 15 years .. and all i have is a crappy ibanez artcore with upgraded pickups .. (and a 3000 bucks acoustic gypsy jazz guitar as it was my speciality before... )
all i could find to stop GAS for better guitars is telling me that i should spend more time on it before deserving a better instrument.
can't afford anything decent at the moment anyway :p

pryde

Quote from: add4 on February 18, 2012, 11:30:13 PM
wow i feel stupid ... i play guitar 1-2 hours a day .. been playing for 15 years .. and all i have is a crappy ibanez artcore with upgraded pickups .. (and a 3000 bucks acoustic gypsy jazz guitar as it was my speciality before... )
all i could find to stop GAS for better guitars is telling me that i should spend more time on it before deserving a better instrument.
can't afford anything decent at the moment anyway :p

No need to feel stupid, your approach is very smart actually. If I spent as much time playing as I do building and chasing tones, I would be a damn good guitarist  :'(

add4

Well i did the same before meeting some cats who were actually killer players... with crappy gear.. that's when i understood that good gear doesn't make you sound better .. after the first 20 seconds of music.. but it can be inspiring if you are a good musician.

anyway, i'm playing MUCH less now that i started the whole pedal building thing.. :p
i'm actually getting back to playing a lot with much more pleasure now that the first 5 months of building frenzy are calming down a bit...

jkokura

I dunno. I've played with and watched a lot of musicians. I agree that a great player can make mediocre equipment sound great, but quite frankly, if a player is great and plays great instruments they will often sound much better.

Honestly, using good equipment makes a difference when you're playing - ease of use, tone and feel are felt in the instrument I play. Sure, clapton will sound like Clapton on a custom shop strat or on a squier, but frankly, I like how Clapton sounds on his custom guitars much better than on the Squier.

That said, an instrument DOES NOT NEED to be expensive to be a quality instrument. I find my made in China Epi Dot to be a very excellent instrument, despite being 'made overseas' and being a sub 500 buck instrument. Same with other guitars I have. A well made and setup instrument can be had for a small amount of money.

Just some of my thoughts.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

add4

I 100% agree with you jacob,
what i mean is: i prefer hearing clapton on a squier than a ... really bad guitarist on an expensive fender custom shop.
even if a good instrument of course helps him finding a good tone, inspiration, and technique.

100% agree with you on the fact that an instrument doesn't need to be expensive .. the best neck i have ever played was a 80s hank marvin signature squire strat neck. it was fitted on a fender custom shop strat body, with les paul pickups on neck and bridge and a texas special between them...
i actually sold that guitar for a ridiculously low amount of money.
we all make mistakes.

In my current art core however, i can HEAR that the wood is ... bad. i mounted bare knuckle pickups on it and it sounded plastic. as if the pickups were too transparent to hide that this was a guitar build with low quality woods. except for that, it's a great work guitar, plays really well, very good intonation, reactivity, i can take her with me everywhere and not worry about damaging a 400$ guitar. It's quite 'cold' however.. not really reacting to what i play. i miss that.

Matt Gnarly

Got a new amp and cab! This is what I've been playing through this weekend (Blacktop Jazzmaster -> VP Jr, Naga Viper, Formula 5, Sea Machine, Flashback -> Mesa Boogie Express 5:50/Lonestar 2x12 cab)

juansolo

Quote from: jkokura on February 19, 2012, 03:17:06 PMThat said, an instrument DOES NOT NEED to be expensive to be a quality instrument. I find my made in China Epi Dot to be a very excellent instrument, despite being 'made overseas' and being a sub 500 buck instrument. Same with other guitars I have. A well made and setup instrument can be had for a small amount of money.

Just some of my thoughts.

Jacob

My MIM Baja Tele is my favourite axe. I snagged that for £250 from a forum member on BKP who'd taken it in p-ex against something else and just wanted rid of it. It was bloody good when I got it. A bit of attention to the back of the neck soon got that nice. The pup swap and electronics simplification I did wasn't really neccessary. But it took a great guitar and made it exceptional. All up cost after I sold all the bits I took out was probably about £350.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jcuempire

My "go to" guitar.  1977 Les Paul Double Cut.  I have an old Melody Maker and newer Epi's but I find myself going back to this one. 

By jcuempire at 2012-02-20

timbo_93631

That DC is too cool!  I love the volute on those 70's necks too, nice feeling for playing open chords.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jcuempire

Quote from: timbo_93631 on February 20, 2012, 11:44:29 PM
That DC is too cool!  I love the volute on those 70's necks too, nice feeling for playing open chords.
Thanks, I prefer that P90 sound to humbuckers.  But it doesn't have the volute that you see on SG's. The neck is wide and flat unlike any of my other guitars which are more "C" shaped.

irmcdermott

OK. Here are my two. Been playing guitar longer, but definitely play bass much, much more. Probably a better bass player than guitar player now. I'm ok with that. :)

Sorry for the iPhone instagram pictures, but it's all I got right now.

My bass of choice is my Marcus Miller Sig. Jazz Bass.

My #1 guitar is my '79 Kramer DMZ2000 (aluminum neck series). Thing is a beast, weighs a TON and sounds great. When I was still living in NJ, I had the privilege of having luthier Phil Petillo (RIP), who was key in designing these guitars, do some restoration because the previous owner didn't give it enough love and even filed down to try and round Petillo's patented "Precision Frets" (which come to a point, and aren't rounded). Going to his shop and meeting him was truly a great memory for me. Truly remarkable man.

Love this guitar.

The cases that these puppies are in are Monocases M80s. By far the best gig bags out there. If you travel with your instrument, it's worth the money. Check them out. They are a fantastic company. I'm a bit of a fanboy and have one of their wallets and Kondensor bags (even though I'm not a DJ, but my Little Mark II fits perfectly in the back compartment and I can carry it around Nashville when I need to).

timbo_93631

Quote from: jcuempire on February 21, 2012, 06:07:05 AM
Quote from: timbo_93631 on February 20, 2012, 11:44:29 PM
Thanks, I prefer that P90 sound to humbuckers.  But it doesn't have the volute that you see on SG's. The neck is wide and flat unlike any of my other guitars which are more "C" shaped.
Thanks for the info!  All the 70's LP's and SG's I have had the pleasure of playing have had that volute, I didn't realize the DC had a much different neck profile.  I used to play traditional ska, rocksteady, and reggae, that DC would be perfect for that stuff besides the obvious ablity to rock.  Thanks for posting it!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups