News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Show us your guitar!

Started by ckim715, January 26, 2012, 11:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

Here's a Hendrix-y with a painted fingerboard. I built this out of poplar (body) and maple (neck). I found out the hard way that painting a fingerboard is a pain in the butt.

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

timbo_93631

On p.3 of this thread I updated the specs of my guitar, but it has grown much since then:

Now has MIJ Jazzmaster pickups drilled through the bobbins to mount ike p-90's with a tele bridge pup plate screwed to the inside of the cavity and grounded for more twang.  A control plate featuring the distressed black sparke finish I have been using on my pedals, just a 3 way and volume with a .033 and 470k in series to ground for a fixed tone control.  Bridge is USA fender chopped at home with CJ Tooling 5/16" Cold Rolled Steel saddles.  Little bit of 60's mex alum. to cover the cleavage.  I recontoured the nec to make it soft v to c and rounded the backside of the "hump" on the bottom edge of the headstock while I was at it.  It has Tonepros Klusons with the bolt bushing now too.  Really love this guitar.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jkokura

That all white strat is pretty sick! I bet it was rough to do, but it looks awesome!

I've never understood what people like about p90s...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gordo

Thanks Jacob. The hardest part of the white finish was masking the inlays. I ended up punching painters tape with a hole punch and then cleaning them up when it was all done. The inlays are purple with mirrored backs so they look like they're about 1/4" deep.

It's a goofy way to play (left handed guitar strung right) as the output jack and all the knobs and switch are in your way.  I don't know how Hendrix did it (right strung left) without bashing up his picking hand wrist. I always thought he looked so cool and the white/angel theme seemed to fit.

I detailed the complete build at www.gordomusic.com/jhangel.htm
Gordy Power

gordo

Gordy Power

gordo

Oh, and P-90's? Kind of a love it or shove it affair. Nasty noise floor. Killer midrange and just a stoopid range from balls out to edged clean. Sort of like a good Scotch, an acquired taste, but once you get it you're hooked.  My ideal guitar is an old Les Paul with P-90s and a stop tailpiece.  I have a really nice LP Special from 1977, but without the arched maple top it's not quite the same.
Gordy Power

jeffaroo

Probably why Hendrix lit crap on fire and acted like a weirdo. Taking out his aggression on a guitar strung backwards !
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

Hangingmonkey

Nice guitars, espcially dig the all white strat.
Heres what im working on at present.

All that needs doing is setting up the bridge and its ready to shred!

gordo

Quote from: jeffaroo on December 08, 2012, 07:11:42 AM
Probably why Hendrix lit crap on fire and acted like a weirdo. Taking out his aggression on a guitar strung backwards !

HA!!! Never really thought of it that way. A reversed Strat definitely feels different because the string tension is backwards and looking down at it is like an optical illusion.
Gordy Power

raulduke

Quote from: Hangingmonkey on December 11, 2012, 02:55:52 PM
Nice guitars, espcially dig the all white strat.
Heres what im working on at present.

All that needs doing is setting up the bridge and its ready to shred!

Nice dude.

Time to shred!

nzCdog

QuoteHeres what im working on at present.
Wow... you paint that???  That is some serious dip, and cool inlays :)

Pvt. Parts

Rockwood PRO by Hohoner (RP 180G) a neighbor gave it to me, lookted up in the net to see the value and NOTHONG so if you know tell me... BTW I emailed hohoner to ask, gave me two different prices $100 and like $350 something + they don't make them no more (not there speciality)
I made the guitar strap out of soda/beer can tabs and pickguard out of cheap wood... need to change the white cap of the toggle switch
I want to put in a bridge humbucker or neck (haven't decided yet)
"Do what you can with what you have where you are" T. Roosevelt

gordo

!!!!!!  You MADE that strap??? How cool is THAT!!! Sorry, excessive use of caps, but I'm blown away!
Gordy Power

Pvt. Parts

Yup, made the strap, I wanted to make and sell, but it didn't go well  :(

BTW I can make a "tutorial" on how to make one, you will need like 1000 tabs, string, a week of your life, and some piece of leather to rest the guitar butt and functions as a bass to start the strap... I still have that leather black thing that goes on the bottom, I THINK I can mail some to ones that TRULY are going to make one (post an image of the tabs ;))
"Do what you can with what you have where you are" T. Roosevelt

culturejam

Here's what I've been playing the most the past couple years. Agile AL-2000 I bought in 2006.

This is the only pic I can find quickly:

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects