News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My first build: Macheen (completed!, modifying, repaired!)

Started by Om_Audio, January 31, 2012, 08:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slimtriggers

Wiring the switches and jacks properly is, IMHO, the biggest challenge in building DIY pedals.  I almost always wire my input and output backwards, then realize what I've done the second I flip the pedal over :-[

This diagram helped me understand how a 3pdt switch works.  Basically the center lugs are "constants" (dunno if that's the right term or not) and the switch flips the connection between the middle "constant" row and the two outside rows.

If you search around there are 3PDT wiring boards available that can ease the pain of some of the offboard wiring.  Although they're currently sold out, THESE are particularly awesome 8)

JakeFuzz

Haha, thanks guys. I need to head down to Venice more often and kick it on the beach, love it down there. I do need to document the next PT style board I build, I need a decent bandsaw to cut the side profiles though so it may be a while before I get access to my old one. We do need to get together and jam, my buddies have a sweet little jam spot here in Westwood that goes nuts sometimes (badass drummer and guitar player are always there). Its reggae and jazz style things that usually go down but it is always fun. Ill let you guys know if they actually plan something out one of these days.

add4

You can find pretty much all basic informations needed to get started on a few pedal related websites.
for the switches for example, i suggest http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Switches/
Do not forget to read the rest of the page which contains a lot of very interesting informations too.

In the end, all electronic or mechanical components have to be handled in a certain way to operate the way we want them to operate, or at all. It's always useful to look at the datasheet before you start using something, just to try to understand what's happening.

Om_Audio

IT WORKS!!  :o
Thanks guys for so much great information. Seriously- I have plenty to take in and read and learn. I rotated the switch 90 degrees and re-wired it and it worked perfectly straight away. I still have things to do like drill for DC jack and such but am very excited. This thing sounds so nasty and awesome I can't wait to try it along with my other pedals.
I have not thanked everyone properly- but thanks:
add4 for the info and link- will read it soon if not tonight.
slimtriggers for the great diagram- this should get me closer to my goal of actually understanding the circuit and allowing me to mod and experiment a bit if I want.
sam_c for the very helpful post and ASCII skillz- ;)
etc.

I will post up a pic or 2 when it is all really boxed up- and maybe a video to show how sweeping the knobs sounds. The Gain and Trim do some wacky stuff near the upper end of their sweep but I think all is working right.and I also might try to lower the brightness of the LED- wow- clear water ultra bright violet looks great but hurts my eyes!  ;D

Last, I am sorely lacking in wiring soldering skills. I did the board really well and got the knack for switching in and out of 20/40W on my iron but really the wiring is messy where the solder hits the fan.

Oh well- I'm having fun and proud to have done it! Onwards!

Thanks-
Clifford
Sent via soup cans and string.

Om_Audio

So I had a great hang with bigmufffuzzwizz yesterday and got a boatload of tips and info. Very cool. I updated the pics- and I am pretty certain I am going to rewire the whole thing at some point- I need to get some things first like a better iron and wire that does not melt so easy and other things. New solder, shrink tubing, etc.
Anyway I love the damn thing- did some quick improvs running it along with a FT Distortion Pro and also the Zombii. It does crazy things depending on the intervals you play on the guitar- ugly and tense and love the resolve when you hit notes that sing together with this thing.
http://soundcloud.com/clifford-novey
Clifford

Om_Audio

Oh dude- so you just plop it on, solder, and wire the jacks, i/o/g, power, etc? Awesome. Thanks.

Quote from: slimtriggers on February 02, 2012, 12:54:45 AM

If you search around there are 3PDT wiring boards available that can ease the pain of some of the offboard wiring.  Although they're currently sold out, THESE are particularly awesome 8)

gtr2

Nice build.  It's always great when you get that first one under your belt.  Welcome to "the club", no turning back now  ;)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Om_Audio

Om_Audio

I got 10 of those boards you mentioned- a little tight for my Macheen build- might get some Mammoth boards too- and am installing one in the Macheen right now. I am thinking I can install the board either way as long as the lugs are horizontal and of course I wire the board properly. I think this is correct- it would only mean if the pedal was off when I installed it it would then be on after installation. Anyway- back to work! (also added pic to first page, will post another when complete.) Thanks.

Quote from: slimtriggers on February 02, 2012, 12:54:45 AM

Om_Audio

Nightmare. Pads popping off- pedal does not work. Luckily the 2 pads that came off were both on the side of the pcb that didn't matter on that particular spot.
I'm bummed. It worked fine then I tried hot glue- coating all the exposed metal near the pcb and such and mounting it and boxing it up but there was some pressure on some of the caps- I coated the tops w hot glue to avoid contact w enclosure but I'm stuck. Going to have to make an audio probe or whatever. LED lights, I can hear crackle in gain knob adjust but no audio is passed. Double checked wiring. Might just remove the add on switch board and wire the switch again.
*sigh* maybe I can get it working before rehearsal Tues night- been loving that thing.
C

add4

The only different between guys who are super good at something and guys who aren't is that the first ones didn't stopped after the first, second or 100th problem ..
learn from that, start over if needed, next time the problems you had for this one will be a breeze.. and you'll discover other ones :)

Om_Audio

Pulled the switch board, rewired- made sure to wrap wires and such- checked continuity to make sure no breaks. Still no dice. LED lights and I can hear crackle of gain adjust but no audio passing. I think I might replace the tall blue caps as they had pressure on them after I boxed it the 2nd time. Does that seem like a good idea to anyone? I def need to learn how to probe and get deeper into testing/diagnosis.

I did test tip of input all the way to outside pad of C1 and it was ok. I assume caps have to be powered and if drained will not show any continuity? Something after that outside C1 pad must be the cause. The pedal actually sounds right but for no audio passing- when I test it through amp I hear all the knobs have an effect.

Updated pics. Thx.

add4

If every pot seems to work, the problem might be ahead of them, you should make sure the input is not grounded by a solder bridge somewhere. you could have continuity, and a bridge to ground.. that would kill the signal.

Om_Audio

Booyah. You are right on it add4- thanks. I actually took it over to Magic's place and we looked at it together- he used his probe box and was confused why there was no signal until closer inspection revealed the input jack had grounded to chassis- I think the tip or ring- forget. This made me remember that right before I finished I did a once over tightening of all the pot and jack nuts- tightening them- and my jacks are sooo close to corners that I must have turned the jack and grounded it. Magic turned the jack a bit and removed the tab for ring. So it was not a solder bridge (I also have a photo loupe I use a lot to inspect along the way and used in trying to track this issue down) For some reason it just didn't strike me to check the jacks.

It was great to see someone with more experience go through the process of testing and sorting it out.
Anyway it works great now and like you said if you keep at it you learn. Just rewiring the switch a second time felt so much better and I did it faster and cleaner than the first. I measured out the wire and such too and used hot glue to insulate certain spots. I know I will always pay closer attention to jack grounding in the future!

Thanks for the help! (Pics on first page updated- went crazy w hot glue but I'm done!)

Quote from: add4 on February 21, 2012, 06:21:54 AM
If every pot seems to work, the problem might be ahead of them, you should make sure the input is not grounded by a solder bridge somewhere. you could have continuity, and a bridge to ground.. that would kill the signal.