Author Topic: substituting IC chips with different suffixes  (Read 6427 times)

rollo greb

  • Diode Destroyer
  • *
  • Posts: 15
    • View Profile
substituting IC chips with different suffixes
« on: February 05, 2012, 09:19:15 PM »
I've built numerous transistor pedals and I'm just venturing into the world of IC chip pedals, and I have a question about IC chip names. I will be building a current lover, and possibly some others.

The project calls for a CD4013BCN, can this be replaced by the CD4013 that small bear sells? Others I'm confused about are TL072 vs. TL072CP vs. TL072ACP, and LM386 vs. LM386N-3.

Thanks very much, I tried googling ic chip codes and couldn't really find any clear answers!

Guitar Master

  • Diode Destroyer
  • *
  • Posts: 39
    • View Profile
Re: substituting IC chips with different suffixes
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 08:39:37 PM »
usually you can look at the data sheets that would be online for the chips, and they should tell you.
I hope that helps!


  • Electron Doctor
  • *****
  • Posts: 4712
  • Function f(x)
    • View Profile
Re: substituting IC chips with different suffixes
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:11:55 AM »
For op amps, usually the letters/numbers after the main part number have to do with either package type (DIP, SIP, SOIC, etC) or operating maximums (how hot/cold they can get before failing). And occasionally, they denote something like max voltage. So you can almost always safely use op amps that only differ by the trailing letters/numbers. So TL072 and TL072CP are both going to work fine in 99% of effects circuits.

Other ICs may vary a bit more, but usually it's still the same kind of thing. The LM386-N3 is a good example. It's the same as the LM386 or LM386-N1, but it puts out a bit more volume/gain at the same voltage.

As was suggested previously, always google the part number and check out the first couple pages of the data sheet to verify.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects