News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How do I replace a resistor with a pot?

Started by Bluestrat, February 14, 2012, 06:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluestrat

I want to replace a 470r resistor in a wah with a pot. What size pot should I use and how should it be wired?
Thanks!

jkokura

Do you want internal or external control?

For internal control, you'll want to find a trim pot. 500 ohms. Connect one pad for the resistor to the middle leg, and then the other pad to either one of the outside legs. Doesn't matter which.

For external control, get a 16mm Alpha B500R pot, and wire one pad for the resistor to the middle lug (lug 2). Then wire the other pad to lug 3, the right side lug if the lugs are towards you and the shaft is pointing up.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Bluestrat

Quote from: jkokura on February 14, 2012, 06:22:28 PM

For external control, get a 16mm Alpha B500R pot, and wire one pad for the resistor to the middle lug (lug 2). Then wire the other pad to lug 3, the right side lug if the lugs are towards you and the shaft is pointing up.

Jacob

Thanks for the quick response. It's an external control. I want to be able to go both below and above the 470R value to adjust the gain on a transistor. Will the B500R allow for that or would I need a B1K?

madbean

In that case use a 1k. Run a wire to lug3, solder a small resistor like 22R between lug3 and 2 and run a wire from lug1 back to the board. You'll get all the range you need +/- 470R and the extra resistor acts as a "stopper" when you have the pot all the way down.

Bluestrat