News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

UltraStoner

Started by juansolo, February 04, 2012, 08:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

This is a Questionable Lady (our attempt at an approximation of Skreddy ? Lady), but with a modded tone stack (all hail Duncan's Tone Stack Calculator!) to incorporate a massive mid scoop. Stoner-tastic. Done on a Madbean Mudbunny board.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

nzCdog

Always so clean!  Another tasty build JS... nice work! :)

Om_Audio

Nice. What's the story with the switch PCB and holy crap I need those. :)
also- I have an Audry Kawasaki print twins with octopi- nice
Sent via soup cans and string.

juansolo

They're a millenium bypass board. We tend to use them where we can as it allows us to use some DPDT stomps that we prefer to the 3PDT ones we get from Tayda. They're just a neat and super easy way of doing the MBP. Though I wish it had an extra + pad as then I could run all my wiring from it. Indeed if it was a proper manufactured board that had the printing on the reverse side (and through hole soldering), and maybe it was as small as it could be it'd be even better. That way you could essentially make them on the switch then just drop em in and wire em up... *rubs chin*

Costs wise, it's fractionally cheaper than the 3PDT stomps. Not enough for that to be a reason to do it IMO. But it does allow you to use better quality (and likely more reliable) stomps.

I've been trying to use that artwork on a pedal for 2 years now! It's some Malleus promo artwork for a Monster Magnet tour. It seemed appropriate for this pedal.

Om_Audio

Can't follow much of what you said as I am a beginner.  ???
What is MBP and why would a board allow you to use a diff switch? Could you not hand wire the better quality switches also?
Someone posted this on another thread- don't know if it is of any use to you:
http://1776effects.com/store/
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

slimtriggers

Quote from: Om_Audio on February 06, 2012, 05:56:38 PM
What is MBP and why would a board allow you to use a diff switch? Could you not hand wire the better quality switches also?
C
That's Millenium Bypass, it allows you to do true bypass and an LED on a DPDT switch.  3PDT switches are pretty abundant and cheap now, but that wasn't so just a few years ago. 

LaceSensor

Quote from: juansolo on February 05, 2012, 08:04:45 AM
They're a millenium bypass board. We tend to use them where we can as it allows us to use some DPDT stomps that we prefer to the 3PDT ones we get from Tayda. They're just a neat and super easy way of doing the MBP. Though I wish it had an extra + pad as then I could run all my wiring from it. Indeed if it was a proper manufactured board that had the printing on the reverse side (and through hole soldering), and maybe it was as small as it could be it'd be even better. That way you could essentially make them on the switch then just drop em in and wire em up... *rubs chin*

Costs wise, it's fractionally cheaper than the 3PDT stomps. Not enough for that to be a reason to do it IMO. But it does allow you to use better quality (and likely more reliable) stomps.

I've been trying to use that artwork on a pedal for 2 years now! It's some Malleus promo artwork for a Monster Magnet tour. It seemed appropriate for this pedal.

The later ones ordered have two 9v pads.
I reckon it's easy to do full fabs, but these were pretty cheap as they are, and once you know which hole is which (snarf!) it's easy to wire them up.

marmaliser

^ do you not mean "fnar fnar" - snarf was the annoying animal in thundercats ... :D

marauder

Quote from: LaceSensor on February 07, 2012, 09:01:57 AM
The later ones ordered have two 9v pads.
I reckon it's easy to do full fabs, but these were pretty cheap as they are, and once you know which hole is which (snarf!) it's easy to wire them up.

I noticed that after John had posted,  they are all made up in a bag and it's a lottery which one gets picked out.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Great job Juansolo!! I've very interested in the changes you made, care to share? Any modifications to a BM I'll gladly take into consideration! Also haven't seen any values for the Skreddy ? Lady around, is it something like a Violet Rams head?
You say stoner now i gotta hear it! Any way you can take a quick video to give a jist of the tone?

+1 for malleus collective. Saw Ufomammut when they toured in America (2009) and they had all the Malleus art posters on the wall! Some really great stuff but pricey...They did some amazing projections while Ufomammut was playing, very epic!!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

juansolo

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on February 13, 2012, 04:01:14 PM
Great job Juansolo!! I've very interested in the changes you made, care to share? Any modifications to a BM I'll gladly take into consideration! Also haven't seen any values for the Skreddy ? Lady around, is it something like a Violet Rams head?
You say stoner now i gotta hear it! Any way you can take a quick video to give a jist of the tone?

+1 for malleus collective. Saw Ufomammut when they toured in America (2009) and they had all the Malleus art posters on the wall! Some really great stuff but pricey...They did some amazing projections while Ufomammut was playing, very epic!!

Yeah they're damned expensive, would love that one in a decent size framed as it's the first tour I saw them on also.

For the muffage. I copied this and have been adding to it as we've discovered the values to new ones. We borrowed a ? Lady to have a poke at and we're pretty confident that it's nailed on right. All I would mention is that you can't get the original transistors, so it's only ever going to be an approximation of it. But we back-to-backed it and we liked what we got out. No reason you can't build it on a mudbunny board (though you'll have to add odd things like the tone resistor in-line.

If you fancy doing it on vero it's here:

Or here with an on-board Millenium bypass:

Cleggy mapped out the changes we made to it as he's knocking together his UltraStoner. Funily enough I've already done the decal for that and it's another Malleus (I think), for Bongzilla :)  With the changes it does sound different to the QL as we needed to move where it sagged so it didn't cut too much treble. Still cool though. Hopefully he'll see this message and post them. If not I'll give him some stick on Thursday when I'm next over at his.

juansolo

Quote from: slimtriggers on February 06, 2012, 06:22:39 PM
Quote from: Om_Audio on February 06, 2012, 05:56:38 PM
C
That's Millenium Bypass, it allows you to do true bypass and an LED on a DPDT switch.  3PDT switches are pretty abundant and cheap now, but that wasn't so just a few years ago. 

Yup, what he said. To be honest I prefer the DPDT for our pedals. We don't need the space for a battery and the switches are (in theory) more reliable. The cost saving these days is negligable. If I make pedals for anyone else I tend to still use a 3PDT. They like to see that blue stomp in there...