News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What to see in NY?

Started by jtn191, March 12, 2012, 02:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtn191

Hey guys, I'm visiting the Big Apple and it's been great so far! I'm going to see The Black Keys for the first time in Madison Square Garden! Also bought "Electronics for Guitarists" by Denton J. Dailey at one of the big book stores. I noticed Small Bear was based in NY, but how bout any other electronics stores? Gonna try to stop at some guitar stores and see what pedals they've got...

madbean

You can see my buddy Michael Galante, who plays drums in my on and off band, playing somewhere I'm sure. He's in like 12 bands in NYC!

Best drummer, ever, no joke. And hilarious.

timbo_93631

You could look up Michael Innantuono the guy that makes Whipple inductors, he's in NY and plays all over town too!  Have fun in the Big Apple!
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

lincolnic

Unfortunately there aren't really any physical electronics shops left here that I'm aware of...Small Bear doesn't even have a storefront.

Ludlow Guitars has a really nice selection of boutique pedals, but they're a bit pricey. Matt Umanov Guitars has some beautiful vintage stuff too. If you're feeling brave, take the L train out to Williamsburg and visit Main Drag Music. Great new and vintage gear, not just for guitars but also drums and keyboards. Amps too! Actually, I really recommend going to Main Drag, it's a fun place. (Good for boutique pedals too.)

culturejam

If you're into beer, I can recommend a few places:

The Ginger Man
Burp Castle
McSorley's (oldest continuously operating pub in America)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

irmcdermott

Quote from: culturejam on March 12, 2012, 04:44:19 AM
McSorley's (oldest continuously operating pub in America)

And some of the rudest service ever :) but that's all part of it. be sure to order the Cheese Plate...

i LOVE that place.

aegert

Contact steve at small bear he is in Brooklyn.  I sold him a bunch of trannies years ago and hung with him for a bit.. Michael from Whipple lives in Brooklyn too... You should go to Brooklyn that is the best spot. Williamsburg... Venue "Brooklyn bowl" and 'The kniting factory' along with like 100 others.. Brooklyn bowl is a gass.  Bowling, music, great food and drink..

I am from NY. Great shops are Chelsea guitars, 30th st guitars (this is pedal heaven), if you have never been take the Staten island ferry and go to Mandolin Brothers. It is just the best guitar store IMHO. You can play 40's martins, D'Aquisto, vintage everything.. Its more an acoustic store but ....  You cna go to Manny's music which is on 48th st. that small block could be the most famous in NY, sam ash and all the rest. Hendrix, Leslie west everyone. Gilmour bought the black one at Manny's...

Jargo

McSorleys is fantastic, and If you live and work in NY the "rudeness" is love!! oh, and Mandolin is amazing!! Don't go with your wife/Gilrlie!!

culturejam

Quote from: aegert on March 12, 2012, 10:57:04 AM
if you have never been take the Staten island ferry and go to Mandolin Brothers.

Ha! I used to live down the street from Mandolin Brothers. I used to walk to get my hair cut at a barber shop just on the opposite side of the block. I'd always pop in on my way back and oogle at the $56k acoustic guitars from the middle ages, or whatever. They had almost no electric guitars in there, so I was usually not as jazzed as other people. But it's a cool shop.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Bret608

I lived in NYC from '95-'00...let me back up the folks who said to check out Matt Umanov and 30th St. Guitars! You do need to go check out 48th St. just for history's sake. But I will say that Rudy's Music was one of the first places I saw make a real effort to carry boutique/hard to find pedals. Back at that time, that was really just Roger Mayer and Prescription, but you get the idea...Main Drag sounds really cool but that was after my time so I haven't been. Venue-wise, the Knitting Factory is the place that probably holds the best memories for me. I remember not only seeing cool artist perform, but also seeing cool artists in the audience checking out bands they were interested in. Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., etc...those were good times!

jtn191

thanks! I went to Main Drag and 30 St. Scored a Visual Sound Angry Fuzz for $75 at the latter

bigmufffuzzwizz

I'd wanna take a tour of the EHX factory, is that even possible nowadays? What about Manny's Music shop?
I'd have to go to Brooklyn Brewery if I was there and drink my fill of Monster Ale!!!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

lincolnic

Manny's is still there (it's where I got my first guitar!), but Sam Ash bought them a few years ago.