Author Topic: substituting IC chips with different suffixes  (Read 3504 times)

rollo greb

  • Diode Destroyer
  • *
  • Posts: 15
    • View Profile
substituting IC chips with different suffixes
« on: February 05, 2012, 09:19:15 PM »
I've built numerous transistor pedals and I'm just venturing into the world of IC chip pedals, and I have a question about IC chip names. I will be building a current lover, and possibly some others.

The project calls for a CD4013BCN, can this be replaced by the CD4013 that small bear sells? Others I'm confused about are TL072 vs. TL072CP vs. TL072ACP, and LM386 vs. LM386N-3.

Thanks very much, I tried googling ic chip codes and couldn't really find any clear answers!

Guitar Master

  • Diode Destroyer
  • *
  • Posts: 39
    • View Profile
Re: substituting IC chips with different suffixes
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 08:39:37 PM »
usually you can look at the data sheets that would be online for the chips, and they should tell you.
I hope that helps!


  • Electron Doctor
  • *****
  • Posts: 4460
  • Function f(x)
    • View Profile
Re: substituting IC chips with different suffixes
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:11:55 AM »
For op amps, usually the letters/numbers after the main part number have to do with either package type (DIP, SIP, SOIC, etC) or operating maximums (how hot/cold they can get before failing). And occasionally, they denote something like max voltage. So you can almost always safely use op amps that only differ by the trailing letters/numbers. So TL072 and TL072CP are both going to work fine in 99% of effects circuits.

Other ICs may vary a bit more, but usually it's still the same kind of thing. The LM386-N3 is a good example. It's the same as the LM386 or LM386-N1, but it puts out a bit more volume/gain at the same voltage.

As was suggested previously, always google the part number and check out the first couple pages of the data sheet to verify.