News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I need help wiring a wah

Started by mjkk, August 30, 2010, 08:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjkk

I bought a tonepad mccoy board, (before I heard of you:) and am having a hell of a time wiring this guy up, I really need some help finishing this off, the board is built and I have all the parts but I need a diagram to work off of.  This is my first wah build second overall build and any help would be great .  Hope everyone is doing well ;D

dbharris

Did you build the standard board or the one with the buffer?  Here is a link to the layout for the standard one http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=114  You will wire it like any other true bypass pedal.  Normally the tricky part of a wah is that Lug 1 of the wah pot goes to output, but on this board they have an out pad so it isn't even an issue.  If you aren't using an led, then all you need is a DPDT.

The tip of the in jack goes to lug 1.  the in pad on the board goes to lug 2. lug 3 gets connected to ground this is the sleeve of the in jack.  The out pad on the board goes to lug 4.  lug 5 goes to the tip on the out jack.  there is a jumper between lug 1 and lug 6.

You want to run a second wire from the sleeve of the in jack to the ground pad on the board, you can do the same for the out jack but don't have to.  A wire goes from the ring of the in jack to the negative terminal for the dc jack, battery snap negative also connects to this terminal on the dc jack.  Depending on which jack you ordered the positive terminals may be switched around, but one terminal will be for the battery snap positive and the other terminal goes to the 9v in on the board.

If that doesn't make sense lemme know and i can send you an image, or if you want to use an led I can tell you how to do that also.  

mjkk

What is the wiper all about, could you send me an image I am just freakin out on this, I thought it would be a little easier to wire?  Thanks

dbharris

The wiper is just another name for Lug 2 of any pot and you don't need to worry about that for purposes of this build anyways, but it's good to learn new things.  I made a diagram in DIY layout creator for you.  I suggest you read my above instructions while looking at the diagram to fully understand where each connection is being made.

I put the solder pads on the board in generally the same location as where they should be on your board.  But you never said which board you were using, the one with the buffer or without?  I also used the same color coding method as in the layout from tonepad.

B/c the layout software doesn't have an image for dc jacks or battery snaps I had to make do with other symbols but I think you should be able to understand whats going on.

The image is attached

(edited to remove the image, use the one a few posts below)

jkokura

I see a mistake there friend - the negative of the battery snap should go directly to the ring of the input jack. It doesn't connect to the DC Jack at all.

So, connect the red of the battery snap to the switching lug of the DC jack, the Black of the battery snap to the ring of the input jack, and the other power lug goes to the board 9V while the Ground of the jack connects to the other grounds.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

dbharris

@jkokura
Thanks for looking over my diagram.  There was error in the way I wired the DC Jack, but not what you mention.  I got my TRS lugs confused going off of memory, but have attached a new diagram that is correct.

I think your method will work just fine, but so does the updated one I posted.  I mean no disrespect here but if you take a look at the wiring diagrams for any of the BYOC kits this is the same method they use and I learned it from them and use it in all my builds.  Never had any problems.  The difference is negligible really.

I think the only real advantage of the method I showed above, over the one you mention is when the DC Jack is not close in location to the In Jack.  It might be next to the Out Jack or on the top of the enclosure when the in/out jacks are on the sides.  And in those cases running one wire of the battery snap in a completely different direction/location than the other could be messy and impact the placement of the battery to a less than ideal/typical area.

I think you were referring to Madbean's method of wiring, which I have never used but I'm sure works perfectly as well.  I think I heard/read a while back that Madbean's method accomplishes some extra grounding protection and that's probably a good thing.  More than one way to skin a cat...it's always good to know other methods.

-Dan

[attachment deleted by admin]

dbharris

Here is a pic of a DC Jack I found posted by someone on the forum.  Forget who it was sorry for jacking it.  I labeled which terminal is which to make the above diagram easier to understand and put to work.

[attachment deleted by admin]

mjkk

You guys rock, I would not recommend this tonepad board, and dude @ tonepad really wasn';t that helpfull.
I think I'll do another wah but maybe using perfboard.
Thanks again guys I will put up pics here when I am finished ;D