News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Need to dress your tone up? (ross comp /blend)

Started by jimmybjj, February 19, 2012, 03:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybjj

My take on the Ross comp /w blend or as Barber calls it a Parallel compressor. Instead of using a dual ganged pot i used a a pot between two opamp stages for the blending. The first opamp stage does some tone shaping and the second adds some gain, a idea i borrowed from Processaurus at the other forum. I included the "jangle box" mod, but decided to leave it out of the final build everything became ridiculously bright after I already included the cap in parallel to the 10k of the output to increase treble.
    Finish is again my favorite DC tecture powder coating. The lettering was done with vinyl masking, so the lettering is actually the natural coloring of the enclosure. I like it, it looks like i used a silver paint marker with nice handwriting. The layout is my own. Sorry for the crappy pics couldn't find my camera so i used my cell phone camera.

Pcbs no longer available

stecykmi

Nice build. I'm curious about the jangle box mod, can you post a link?

jimmybjj

Thanks. I don't know of any particular links with in depth discussion about the mod, just people saying they have included the mod with a short description. The mod as i have performed it is just to lift the cap parallel to the resistor on the output of the OTA. It really sounds pretty nice on a stock ross comp but ends up being to much IMO when applied with the other treble mods.
Pcbs no longer available

jubal81

That is a really impressive layout - not a bit of wasted space. I've been geeking out on compressors lately, and this sounds really interesting. Any chance for a demo?

BTW, do you use a drill template to fit all those jacks on the top?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

nzCdog

jubal81

Got a couple more questions.

I'm having trouble finding a source for the 3080 chip. Also, I don't see it in any of my Eagle libraries. Any tips?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jkokura

I got 10 on ebay from Asia. Pretty cheap and they're great Intersil chips.

It's in the GM and in Brian's as well. It's labeled as *3080 not CA3080, so I can see how it might not be obvious.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimmybjj

Thanks guys, I've been trying to work on my pcb skills lately :)

Quote from: jubal81 on February 19, 2012, 07:20:48 PM
That is a really impressive layout - not a bit of wasted space. I've been geeking out on compressors lately, and this sounds really interesting. Any chance for a demo?

BTW, do you use a drill template to fit all those jacks on the top?

Maybe, if i can get everything setup. I'll be moving in a month or so, so everything is everywhere and no where at the same time :)

For the top(front) template I just use the top portion from the GGG 125b layouts.

Quote from: jubal81 on February 19, 2012, 08:50:18 PM
Got a couple more questions.

I'm having trouble finding a source for the 3080 chip. Also, I don't see it in any of my Eagle libraries. Any tips?

What Jacob said.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=260843285119&view=all&tid=894845646016
Pcbs no longer available

DutchMF

I really like the vinyl masking technique, looks really expensive! Must be so cool to be able to do your own powdercoating.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

irmcdermott

Quote from: stecykmi on February 19, 2012, 05:36:49 PM
Nice build. I'm curious about the jangle box mod, can you post a link?

I think Brian posted a unverified layout for the Janglebox over at FSB no too long ago. I believe there are layouts over there