News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pulse Film Caps

Started by BRGPollen, February 20, 2012, 08:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRGPollen

This is probably a completely noob question, but can I use these caps for the smaller values ie 470p??

Is there any advantage in using these or should I just look in the silver mica / ceramic world??

Thanks again,

"B"
The Musician's Theory of Relativity . . . . . E=Fb

Haberdasher

They should be fine.  I've used some 1n pulse caps without any issue.  I don't think there's any advantage to using them over other types of caps in a low voltage pedal unless the pulse cap has a tighter tolerance.  Film caps sound pretty good though, and they are usually cheaper than silver mica so I might use them.

I think the main difference between pulse film ad regular film is  that they can withstand high pulses of current without the 2 halves of the cap fusing together and short-circuiting.  Or something like that.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

BRGPollen

El Dudarino,
     Thanks for the reply.  I've been meaning to get back at you about the boards I bought.  TOTALLY cool.  The Serendipity is one of the drive sounds I've been hearing in my head but couldn't achieve until now!!.  I'm still finishing the Krank.  I had a brain freeze moment when I was ordering and didn't get the 470pf for it.

Your boards are great!!  Definitely had to up my soldering skills a little though!  The copper will wick my solder like  a thirsty camel!  Thanks for being such a value add here on this forum!

"B"

Haberdasher

thanks barrett, glad you like the boards!   as usual madbean should get most of the credit though. ;)
good luck with the pulse caps, let me know if they work out.
btw, I just built a serendipity too.  what opamp did you go with?  I didn't have ad712 so I tried tle2072, op2134 and tlc2272.  I believe I liked the 2272 the best.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

BRGPollen

Mea Kulpa,  :-[ I should make this blanket statement that my respect for his majesty the grand Bean goes without question.  But for the sake of being official I will offer my humble gazillion thank you's to the Bean here and now  ;D

As far as the Op Amp I liked the OPA2604 the best and I changed the input cap to a 33n !!  My dreamy creamy drive.

"B"

edited for the correct value of cap 1 in my version.