News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Weener Wah Question

Started by kinski, February 21, 2012, 04:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinski

Okay, I got the wah tuned in really nicely. Sounds fantastic. But there is one problem that still bothers me.

At an early part in the sweep, there is a static sound, like its a dirty pot or something. The strange thing is, I don't think its the pot that is causing this. The static sound only happens when I am playing my guitar through it. If I roll the vol back on the guitar all the way, and rock the wah, there is no static. Also, I ran an oscillator through instead of a guitar, and there was also NO static sound. But if I use ANY of my guitars, I get that sound.

Its quite annoying because when you are rocking back and forth, you hear a "tsh tsh tsh tsh" sound. I even tried a different pot and I still got the static sound.

Any ideas what this could be? Does anyone else have this problem?

kinski

Well, I played this in a live context tonight and it was totally fine. Totally forgot it was even an issue. Might bother me for recording, who knows. Killer wah though!

;D

frankie5fingers

Hey Kinski.  Don't want to re-thrash this thread but I too had the scratchy pot sound, without it being a scratchy pot.  It disappeared gradually as I upped the 220R to 390 and then even higher 470 until it was gone entirely.  FWIW

kinski

Hey! Just saw this, thanks! I did not use a 220k resistor anywhere. Do you mean R4?

frankie5fingers

Yes, I did the a couple of the popular mods;  in this case taking R4 to 220R for more gain (not 220K).  At that it was the deepest, quackiest wah I ever heard/had, but still sounded scratchy.  I had to give up a little quack for cleans with a 470R but it's till a great wah sound.