News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Quadrovibe (AKA Sea Sick)

Started by Jamiroking, February 26, 2012, 06:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamiroking

I finally brought myself to box up the Quadrovibe I wired up a while ago. It was a pretty intense process considering the perfboard charge pump, lit knob, 2 toggle LEDs and my insistence to shove it all in with a 9v into a 1590b.

With this one, I have the Intensity knob pulsing at the rate of the LFO and two 3mm LEDs on the boat's mast which indicate whether it is in Tremolo or Vibrato mode. These are always on so I can tell the settings on the pedal without having to engage it with another main indicator LED to tell whether its on or not.

The vibrato is pretty subtle and is pretty much unnoticeable (to me) with intensity below about 12 o clock. The tremolo is ok but the vibrato is definitely the main effect here. Not replacing my Supa trem or the one on board my princeton reverb anytime soon.

A note about the envirotexing:
This time I decided to test out the method of drilling after the enclosure is completely finished.
Unfortunately while this did take care of the pillowing "problem" that you get from the envirotex running into the holes, if you look close, you can see that the finish actually lifted off around the holes during the drilling. This may make the finish a little more susceptible to peeling and what not later. Aesthetically it kind of works on theis pedal, especially around the 3mm vibr/trem LEDs since the air pockets get let up by the LED. This may be because I had to use regular drill bits this time which may pull up on the finish more than a unibit would have.

As you can see, its pretty tight in there. Almost had to give up on the 9v on this one but I got it to work. I used some of that poster hanging putty to mount the charge pump and 3mm LEDs to the enclosure just to be safe. Once I closed the lid though, there's definitely no room for anything to move anywhere

nzCdog

Cool looking build!  Pretty tough fitting that all in there plus a battery! 
Nice work :)

jtn191

sweet! could you do a demo? no one has done one yet...

sgmezei

Cool graphic with the LED's. Very cool and unique. I really dig the look!
Its definetly a tight fit but great job.

Jamiroking

Thanks a lot Guys

I don't have a camera so I'll see if I can find one to borrow to do a demo. At the very least, I can do an audio demo but I think it would be nice to show the trim pot adjustments as well. They play a pretty significant part in this pedal.

Although some others suggested mounting them externally, I decided it wasn't really worth it since they really interact with each other and you have to play around and compensate any changes to one with the other

Om_Audio

Very nice!
Is that paper covering the bulb/photo sensor?  :-*
C
Sent via soup cans and string.

Jamiroking

Haha yeah thats a but of masking tape since I didn't have any heat shrink big enough. Don't worry, it has since been replaced.