News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

line mixer

Started by cjkbug, February 28, 2012, 09:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjkbug

I'd love to do a good buffer/splitter/mixer. mainly for running delays and reverbs in parallel. something pedalboard sized like RJM music's mini line mixer but with 3-4 "send switches" for different channels.

I'm thinking it should have an input>buffer/split>have a dry through channel with a level control> and a switch for each effect channel> return for each and corresponding level pot.

maybe it could have mono in and switchable mono/stereo out. something for phase reversal.

when I had a rack setup, I used a 16 mono channel/ 8 stereo channel mixer with a few different delay units(tc electronic - gforce, d-two, strymon brigadere and elcap.) all running in stereo. I think delays sound so much more natural and spacious like that (if thats your thing). A panner control might be a cool addition too.

I've missed using parallel verb and delay since gutting my rack. It would be great if that could be stuffed into a smallish footprint, a 1590bb is probably pushing it with all those jacks and switches. one of those larger trapezoidal boxes might be big enough without getting clumsy.

I got blisters on my fingers!!!

madbean

Yes, this is a good idea.

jubal81

Cool idea. You could use a 3-way switch on each effect for A/B/A+B. Also, if you're making all those buffers, maybe add one or two more for a tuner out or balanced xlr.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jtn191

+1 the pigtronix keymaster could be a source of inspiration

raulduke

This is a really cool idea.

I would love to see a re-amper project somehow combined with this as well (maybe combine with this idea).

That way I can run my DAW tracks through lovely analogue treatments, and not use damn plugins all the time!

Like jtn says; the keymaster could be a cool source of inspiration.

cjkbug

Quote from: jtn191 on February 29, 2012, 09:22:37 AM
+1 the pigtronix keymaster could be a source of inspiration
yeah something like that but at least 3 switchable channels(I'm thinkin 2 delays and reverb)

aziltz

i designed something like this for doing stereo trails bypass with delays and reverbs.  I'll see if I can find it tonight.  I think I used 4066 switches, but it could easily be swapped out for relays, etc.

aziltz

Here's what I've been working on for a stereo trails looper/mixer.  At some point I used the 3rd unused switch to add in a mono channel that can be panned between the two outputs.  My plan was to put a stereo reverb in the main loop and a mono delay in the panning channel.  I lost that schematic in the flood, but I'll get back to it at some point.

I realize this isn't the same as the line mixer requested, but maybe it can help you get somewhere with it.

Vintageman

Hi folks.

Interesting idea this splitter/buffer mixer. Not only for running delays and reverbs in paralell, also for switching from one to another chain of effects, using 2 amps, mixing clean sound with a chain of effects, or even mixing several chain of effects.

Did you read the "parallellizer" article in ggg, in the buffer/routing section? really inspirational.

I´m tinking in an A/B/AB box, after that, two more A/B/AB boxes. So we can get 4 channels (with 6 footswitches). A lot of footswitches, but this way, the box could be extremely usefull, because you can change to any combination of the channels with only one push.

After that could be a buffer switched by an spdt for each channel, the chain effects loop, and one more switch each channel for reverse phase. Finally the mixer with pots, and maybe a routing mod for two outputs in order to use 2 amps.

Really nice thread this one...

cjkbug

yeah that article and the mini mixer was what got me going on this. I have a prototype frankensteined together with 3 channels 2 of which are switchable. I got sidetracked but it shouldn't take too long to finish it. I'm sure brian could put something together that would be far more elegant thought.

Vintageman

hehehe I was just etching the ggg mini-mixer PCB, when read your lines. I´m going on with the project.

It could be nice to upload some pictures of the finished boxes.

cjkbug

a couple line/instrument level switches on would also be helpful for helping pedals deal with different types of effects loops or line level processors.