Main Menu

Univibe

Started by madbean, September 06, 2010, 05:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

BarryW

I don't mind a BB - I'd just love to do a vibe!  Let me know details when available

jkokura

I think I'd be down for the 125B version. There are some pretty simple BB sized vibe builds in existence if I'm not mistaken, but I wouldn't build one if it were that size... I just built the porkbarrel at that size and it will vibe in a pinch.

I'm going to be building the Forumvibe into a 1790NS in the near future I think. Part of a 1790NS series of mine...

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

The 125B is basically the Forum Vibe. At least, I think most of the mods are in there. I've got the prototypes for both ordered and they should be here around the end of the month. The main focus will be the larger one, but I might make a few of the smaller ones available. I know Barry was doing some boards for the Forum Vibe already, so I don't expect to make it a "regular" project.

gtr2

I'm up for the bigger board!  Go big or go home!  :-X
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

BassXtreme

madbean

I've already built the Mojo prototype, but the LFO is not working yet. So, I'll need to do some debugging on it. The other one has not been built yet, but I will get to it ASAP.

G.G.

sounds cool, I've been looking for something that does a little more than tremolo.  I'm not familiar with all the different vibes though.  What is the difference between the Forum Vibe, Mojovibe, Dejavibe, etc . . . ?

jkokura

Almost nothing. They're all knockoffs of he uni-Vibe made famous by a man named Jimmy. Hendrix that is.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Davefx

Hello, I just joined this forum, nice to meet ya all:)  Madbean, I saw your posts on Freestomp about the mojovibe.  You mentioned the cells were flush with the board, but I would like to know what the lightshield looked like inside. Was it mirrored? And did you figure out what the bulb number was?  I've been on a hellbent quest to nail the sweep, because IMHO he nailed the Hendrix sweep. I've built a couple vibes, and while they sound good, I can't seem to get that sweep nailed!

Appreciate any help.. Thanks

Dave

madbean

The bulbs look to be hand-made, so I doubt it will be possible to reproduce it exactly. Most likely, we will have to settle for the closest approximation. But, my intention is to make that a very good approximation!

As far as the shield, it is aluminum, but not polished. So, it it reflective, but I'm betting some of the light scatters across the surface of the shield, too. The shield I'm going to make is from a thin metal sign with reflective tape on the inside.

Davefx

Yeah, I was thinking on using self-adhesive mylar, It has 94% reflective efficency, you can get it through Amazon for 5.98 for a small roll (but $ 10 shipping!! yikes).  I'm bulb searching as well. Supposedly the original used a 28v 40ma bulb.. A lot of people like to use the 1.5v 25ma from RS.. Don't like it. But who knows what I'm doing wrong, lol!

Dave

madbean

Well, I do happen to have a 28v lamp, so it's worth a try. I got a whole smattering of them off Mouser...14v, 18v, 28v in different current ratings, too.

masterlk

I would love one of these! Anybody have one or have first hand experience with one? The clips I've heard are great.

http://www.krmusicalproducts.com/smallmegavibe.htm

Davefx

Supposedly this was one of THE FIRST vibe clones available.. 
Madbean... Do you recall what voltages the Mojo runs at? I know he charge pumped it to 18v, is that correct?
I'm curious if the LFO and audio are operating from the same B+ levels... Normally the LFO runs at a higher voltage because it's unregulated as in the case of the Neo...  But what I have found, as was recommended from JC Maillet, the original vibe actually ran on 24-25v and I have to say it makes a HELL of a difference when I jacked my Neo up from 15v..  Getting closer to the Hendrix swoosh more than ever.
It opens it up BIG TIME.

Dave