News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NAD - Some seriously PO'd neighbors

Started by jubal81, March 03, 2012, 02:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

I don't usually 'review' anything until I'm sure I've gotten past the honeymoon period, but - WOW. I got a Winfield Cyclone today and it's just plain amazing.

I'd never played one before and it goes way beyond my expectations. I searched up and down for a DC-30/Stangray style amp in the 18-watt range and this really nails it.

The cleans are huge and lush with amazing clarity. It doesn't get the really aggressive high gain sounds, but it has a Huge range of breakup. I can go from Jack Johnson to Keef with a flick of the pickup switch.

The gain situation is no problem, because this thing absolutely LOVES dirt pedals; even the ones I built and didn't get along with that were living in the closet have a whole new life.

I'm just blown away and had to give some love to Winnie.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

nzCdog

Quote from: jubal81 on March 03, 2012, 02:13:39 PM
... had to give some love to Winnie.

Couldn't help myself ;)
Happy NAD, looks tasty!

TNblueshawk

John

jtn191

nice amp! you could always try an attenuator or isolation cabinet

jubal81

It's not that big of a deal. Of course the day I got it I had to put it through its paces to see what it can do. Since then I just keep it turned down to about my usual volume. It still sounds fantastic - maybe louder to the ears than to the physicist because of the frequency response.

I only play in the early afternoon, haven't gotten yelled at, and I don't even feel that guilty since my neighbors play their stereo pretty loud just about every day.

I have a Mini-Mass I haven't used in about two years. Need to drag it out and see how it handles.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

TNblueshawk

Do you like that Minimass? I've almost pulled the trigger on that thing multiple times.
John

jubal81

Quote from: TNblueshawk on March 08, 2012, 01:41:09 PM
Do you like that Minimass? I've almost pulled the trigger on that thing multiple times.

I haven't tried any other attenuators (z-brake, etc) so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it worked really well when I used it with a Blackheart Little Giant (no master volume). I have the version with the treble boost switches, which did a great job restoring the lost highs.

I haven't tried it with the Cyclone yet, but if I don't feel like I'll need it after some testing, I'd be open to selling or trading it.
- David Fair

TNblueshawk

I had originally wanted an attenuator for my Fender HRD. Can't crank that thing up in a 10x12 room. But then I got into building pedals and spent all my money there  ;D I need to bring my Fender in to the shop for an issue and to rebias some tubes. I have yet to decide if I will sell that thing or keep it. If I keep it long term I may hit you up down the line on your mini if you would be interested in selling. I have to figure out what I want to do but first I need to get that amp working right.
John