News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Is it normal...

Started by yanko_mr, March 06, 2012, 05:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yanko_mr

Hi, well i have some questions, maybe i am doing something wrong, but is it normal to..

a) Alpha pot to come with 1 nut and 1 washer?, because i cant install them that way i think i need 2 nuts, ( or something to level the offset).

b) DC jacks, I got (Round External Nut DC Power Jack), but the nut is too tight, I can't make it go all the way down.

c) Compressor to turn into a radio when i use DC (this is weird but with batteries it works perfect, but when i use DC I get noise and I can listen to radio  ???...

jkokura

a) yes.

b) no, but I have found that the inexpensive DC jacks can have issues with threading either on the nut or on the jack.

c) no. What comp are you talking using? It could also be your power supply. Try it at a different location, because dirty power may cause that problem. Also, poor grounding may also do that.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

yanko_mr

a), why?????????, how you install the pots?

b) the store didn't have many options...

c) the cupcake, the DC works fine with the chorus and the mudbunny, the wiring is ground for sure.

Sigesmundninja

a: The offset? is it the metal tab on one of the sides of the pot? that makes the offset? just break it off with a pair of needle-nose pliers

Ettore_M

Quote from: Sigesmundninja on March 06, 2012, 06:24:16 PM
a: The offset? is it the metal tab on one of the sides of the pot? that makes the offset? just break it off with a pair of needle-nose pliers
+1  ;)

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

alanp

I just drilled another small hole to the side for the offset/metal tab. It's a locating tab, to make sure the pot doesn't rotate if the nut backs off a bit, and that you don't have to crank the nut down hard to begin with..
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

yanko_mr

Ok, wel as i got my enclosures pre drilled i wasnt sure, but thanks next time I will do it better  ;D

bangerang101

drilling a hole for the tab is really unnecessary IMO. Just break the tabs off w/ needlenose plyers (just squeeze the tab tightly w/ them and pull off to the side), and save yourself the trouble of measuring and drilling extra holes. I use both the washer and the nut on the OUTSIDE of the enclosure and tighten the nut w/ a mini wrench just enough to where it feels snug. Haven't had one come loose on me yet! (for over 3 years) 
Owner of Luck Duck Pedals (LDP)

alanp

Fair enough, I don't bother measuring, I just put the pot in and mark with a pencil on the masking tape where to drill the hole. If the boxes were predrilled (but I'm too cheap for that...) I'd probably just rip them off. I know I twisted them flat for my amps.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website