Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Greenbean pot?

Started by binog15, November 22, 2011, 03:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

binog15

100Ka and 500Kb or 100Kb and 500Ka???

jkokura

The BOM says A100K for level, and B500K for gain. Have you looked at the docs?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

LaceSensor

How essential is a w taper pot?

Do you lose anything using a linear or audio taper?
Cuba making an order just for a 20k w pot

Hangingmonkey

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I note that the tonepad and guitar pcb BOM uses an A500K for drive and B100K for vol.

Anyone know why the taper is other way round for the green bean?

I used to have a tonepad tubescreamer which died so I thought Id build a greenbean instead and was wondering if its ok to the the pots from the tonepad build?

Any thoughts?

mgwhit

In most circuits, a volume control is implemented with an audio taper pot configured as a voltage divider.  This gives a much smoother range of control on the knob.  Linear taper volume pots tend to have an "instant on" quality.  I'm pretty sure stock Tube Screamers use an audio taper pot.  (If they don't, they should.). You can certainly build a Green Bean with the pots you have, you just might find that the transition of the controls isn't optimal.  If you liked your tone pad screamer with those pots, then they'll probably work similarly in the Green Bean.  Remember, we're always dealing in approximations in these circuits -- nothing's perfect. Good luck!

Edit: Just confirmed that it's B100K volume and A500K drive in the stock TS.  Learned something new.