News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Chunk Chunk wiht booster?

Started by HM, August 11, 2010, 09:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HM

anyone knows how to adapt a booster to Chunk chunk??

thanks !!

madbean

What kind of booster?

My guess is that example  is simply toggling between two different volume knobs, which would not really be a boost. But, you could put any number of boosts before or after it.

HM

Brian you can explain it or graph it?? this exchange to the final sound of the pedal?
and to have two volumes and as they do that?

thanks

jkokura

If you take a 3PDT, you can select between two knobs. Connect the pads on the PCB to the middle set of lugs (horizontal), and then one pot to the upper lugs, the other to the lower lugs. I did it with the gain knob on mine. I think that one pictured above did it with the volume. It's an easy, very simple mod.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

HM

Jacob, too much to ask that you draw, even with the paint or hand as .. friend may be??

jkokura

I'll try typing it out.... Imagine each word as one of the lugs of the pedal. if you look at a 3PDT, the lugs are oriented so the holes face 'vertically' - hopefully that make sense.

Top Row = Gain/Volume Knob 1:   lug 1   lug 2   lug 3
Middle Row = Common to board:  pad 1  pad 2   pad 3
Bottom Row = Gain/Vol Knob 2:    lug 1   lug 2   lug 3

Does that make sense? I don't really have a paint or draw program, I have an old macbook and don't have much for those kinds of programs...

jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

HM

jacob something like that'd be ok? I need to know where are those in the middle? is correct that I did? or is anything?
and as it joins the other 3pdt? if I want to turn the two together can do?

thanks for your answers

jkokura

Yeah that's pretty close.

For future reference, use the same colour wire for the same 'lug' of the pots. You used red for lug 1(?) on gain 1, and then red for lug 2 on gain 2. If you use the same colour it becomes less confusing to others reading it.

Pot lugs all have numbers assigned to them - if the shaft is facing up and the lugs are towards you they're numbered 1, 2 and 3 left to right. Turn it upside down and it's 3, 2 and 1 left to right.

Madbean's boards usually have an indicating number on the board so that you can tell which way to wire them. So when my description says 'Lug 1' that's all I mean, lug 1 of either pot. When my description says 'pad 1', it means the pad (1) on the board that is supposed to be attached straight to lug 1.

Jacob

JMK PCBs *New Website*

HM

You are right, I have to unify all colors!!!
do not understand how and where to place the pad, I can not find where they put the numbers Madbean like you show me on the circuits he does.-

jkokura

Sorry Herman, I'm struggling to see what you're asking - good for you for trying this in a second language, I can only speak english!

I forgot to add that this method doesn't include LED's. There's another method that allows you to have the LED. Perhaps someone else has the drawing. I wish I could speak in your original language Herman!

Perhaps if you could try explaining again that would be helpful.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

HM

Jacob thanks for your kind, answers ...
besides that cost me the language, I wrote fast and wrong, excuse me, now edit to make it right!

and the image that shows how to place the LED on the pedal?

jkokura

Technically, one lug on each of the pots go to ground. Instead of routing those to the switch, try sending them straight to ground - then you can use that pole for LED's. Connect the centre lug to ground, and then each side will have it's own LED and Resitor in series with power. That's how I did it anyway.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Willybomb

Sorry about the necro thread revival...

This is a great simple mod for some extended functionality on just about any dirt pedal.  If I wanted to switch between two different gain levels would I be able to have one pot have a shorter gain range (say 0-5 on a single control) and an extended range on the other (6-10 on the single control)?  Would using different value pots make a difference or not, or would that just give me a different sweep across the range?

Basically I'm wondering if it's possible to use it as an OD1/OD2 switch and get pseudo channels, or would you basically just set Gain1 at 5 and Gain2 at 10 and switch between them (which is what this mod does anyway) and get the same result?

I hope that makes sense.  As it currently stands, switching between two identical pots set at max would give the same result (so obviously you wouldn't have them set the same...)