News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda Electronics Order "Review"

Started by chromesphere, March 13, 2012, 04:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Hey dudes,
I hope its ok to post this here, just thought you guys might find this info interesting.  I put in a decent sized order with Tayda for a variety of components and i read someone post the question "what sort of quality is tayda's stuff" on another forum, probably cause its so cheap.  Anyway, this video is my initial impression of their stuff.  Hope you like it!
Paul

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

jonrhee

I'm interested to try the 3pdt's. One thing I have noticed is the screws on the knobs strip fairly easily. They're cheap enough that I can order spares in case that does happen though.

chromesphere

I was playing around with the 3pdts after the video and yeah, they feel like any other i've ordered before.  3 dollars is the cheapest i've found so far (without ordering 1000 :) )
I think all davies are like that?  There are much better quality knobs then these davies style knobs out there, problem is, when you build so many (for yourself), you start cutting costs! lol
Paul

jolly1423

I've been using their 3pdt's and have no complains about them yet, as long as they don't wear out (same goes for their toggles too, so far so good). I wasn't a fan of the black davies I just got from them though, the just look and feel a little cheaper than what I've received from pedal parts and small bear. Just my opinion though. Their vero is nice, solders up really clean and easy. And I love how well they sort/label and package everything.

chromesphere

Hmmm, thats interesting.  The only other place i have gotten my davies from, is from mammoth...I didnt notice any difference, so they both must be cheapo's.  thanks for the tip!
Paul

jolly1423

The ones I got from tayda had kind of sharp edges and the painted line was kinda rough on a couple. The pedalparts ones are more polished and glossy, I've only bought the 1510 clones. Of course they both work just fine  :)

DutchMF

Thanks for posting this, it's good to hear about experiences with suppliers. If that was my desk, there would be an ashtray and a mug of coffee/bottle of beer, depending on the time of day......  :D

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

chromesphere

These knobs seem ok...the white lines are painted solid and they are glossy...but they feel pretty cheap, so I'm not sure.  Hard to say for sure without seeing a small bear / ppp knob. If your already buying the cheap version you might as well get them from tayda as they are the cheapest i have found so far. Mammoth - 68c each, tayda 49c.   You'd have to buy 500+ from mammoth before you get them cheaper.  1c cheaper.

Dutch, One of the rare occassions there isnt a beer on my desk :)

stevenrun

Looks good. I will certainly check them out.

That reminds me of my order from Mammoth. Everything was nicely packaged and labeled in dozens of little ziplock bags. Those should come in handy for picking parts for my next build.

theviper21

Hey man, just wanted to say I've watched a lot of your videos on YouTube and they've been super helpful. I was looking into Tayda as I came across your video then decided to order after seeing it. Thanks for putting all that work into making your videos, it's really helped a lot!

CRBMoA

'Davies' is kinda like 'Frisbee'.

In fact, many places I have shopped claim to sell 'Davies Style' knobs.

The best ones I have gotten came from Small Bear, and while the others have seemed a little more cheaply made, they all worked.

chromesphere

Thanks for the positive feedback viper i aprreciate it.

I agree CRMoA.  I noticed last night these 'davies' have a different grub screw (black) on them to that of the ones i bought from mammoth (brass colored).   So yeah, they are different, anyway, like you said, they all work the same.
Paul

CRBMoA

I kinda drifted off topic, and I actually have something to say................

Placed my second order recently w/Tayda.

First went off w/o a hitch. Fast, accurate, good prices.

The second had a glitch. I ordered a couple ICs (not cheap), and got two fuses in the package instead.

Sent an email. They replied the next day, offered to refund $5.00 to my Paypal account or credit my $9.00 to my account. Took the credit, because I will order again.

They took good care of me, right away!

cb

add4

My experience with tayda is super good on the overall.
However, i had to unscrew 4 of these davies clones knobs, the head of the screw broke immediately in 3 of the 4 i was unscrewing, the knobs were still solidly attached to the pots so i had to saw through them to remove them ..

chromesphere

Gee that sounds like a PITA add4, i hope mine dont do that  :o  Still not sure if im a fan of the tayda knobs. The only knob ive had that screwed up (literally) was one of the skinny ones from mammoth (davies 1900H).  the plastic thread of the knob, threaded out so the grub screw became loose and the knob was a throw away. 

I downgraded in quality somewhere, i started using the jaycar alumunium knobs, then started using these plastic knobs to save some $$$.  Once you buy 10+ their pretty reasonably priced (2 bucks each approx). Havent found a knob thats as good so far. Maybe similar to the mammoth aluminiums? MUCH BETTER then the futurlec alumniums which are so-so.  Their just top notch, heavy, solid aluminium, the indicator on the knob is actually carved out, you might be able to see it in the below video...I think for black and silver, im just going to get them. Anyway just thought id share that.

Black version:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HK7009&keywords=knob&form=KEYWORD

An example of the silver knobs on my dr boogey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2D0XDcGeto&list=UUGhzS1GbX-yxyBrUJtnUMoA&index=34&feature=plcp