News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Blue Porkbarrel

Started by DutchMF, March 19, 2012, 11:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

This was one of the builds I was really lookink forward to, because I'm a bit of a chorus fan.... Right now there's a Visual Sound H2O on the board, with a Boss Bass Chorus as backup, but this will probably bump them both down a notch, as it sounds soooooooo good! I'll have to figure something out for the delay side of the H2O, which I mainly used for some rockabilly type slapback, so suggestions are welcome! The wiring went pretty well, which was a surprise, as I had a huge hangover and my hands were shacking very badly..... It's built with a v3207 and has both a normal status LED and the LFO-indicator/depth mod. The LFO-indicator bezel is mounted very professionally with superglue, as it's to close to the edge of the enclosure to get the nut on it on the inside...... (see last pic)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

DuctTapeRiot

Wow Paul, looking good!!  Love the white Chicken heads with the blue enclosure.  Where did you get that tiny DC jack??

I'm super interested to know how you find the headroom?  I built mine with a Road rage at 15V, but never even bothered to try it at 9V so don't know what the difference is like.

I love this thing, and love having the rate LED,  but im not sure I needed more depth, I guess I am more of a subtle chorus person, but I am finding the most use out of the first 1/4 turn of the rate knob, anything beyond 12 o'clock gets pretty wacky.

DutchMF

Hey DuctTapeRiot, check this thread:http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=4190.0, for some more pics of the DC-jack. It's made by Lumberg and I got it through Banzaimusic.com. They are a pretty good company, good customer service. I buy my bulk resistors, capacitors and enclosures at Mouser, the rest at Banzai.
Headroom is not really an issue for me as I don't play superclean sounds, there's always a bit of an edge anyway, which I (try to) play with my volume knob and pick-attack. I'll give it a try for you though. About the depth mod: I like whacky!

Paul

Bret608

I really like how you did both a basic LED and an LED for the rate indication! That is a super-classy blue as well.

How do you like this with overdrive? I'm making progress on my build and can't wait to try it out. I got the v3207 too. I had asked around about how the chips affect headroom, somehow thinking the higher-voltage ICs would impact how well the chorus would work with OD/distortion. Scruffie in particular pointed out that even MN3007s at 15v will distort/clip if you hit them with enough signal. He explained it's in the nature of analog chips.

DutchMF

Well, thanks! I couldn't decide if I wanted a standard LED or an LFO-indicator, so I did both. The blue finish is again a pre-finished box from Hammond, so the props go to them. I like the no-nonsense look, but I'm still undecided on how to label the controls, it's getting a bit to much to remember what does what  ???

I'll let you know how it sounds with some proper amp-drive, as I've only played through a crappy practice amp. And yes, Scruffie is the man for all things analog, so he's probably right! As I've posted before, I'm still excited when this stuff actually works and will probably get more into parts/voltages/tweeking etc. as my knowledge expands.

nzCdog

Nice build Paul! 8)
I really miss my pork barrel... sold it to a friend, but man was it an epic sounding pedal.  I did the old board with 3 knobs and the switchable mods... of all that I recommend the 'Vibe' mod, which takes the clean out of the signal, sounded deliciously analog for mellow shoegaze stuff