News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mangler

Started by Sigesmundninja, March 14, 2012, 03:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigesmundninja

Finished this baby today, man am I happy about how it turned out. There are absolutely NO pop when I flip either switch!

silicon transistors are BC109
Germanium's are CV7112

Left switch is for Q1
Right switch is For Q2 and the two Bias-controls. Panel-knob is for Germanium and the inside trimpot is for silicon.

cjkbug

nice build. I love those steel enclosures for fuzz boxes. they're a bitch to drill but worth the effort. how hard is it to get every combo dialed in? do you have to make adjustments for each set of trannies?(si/ge,ge/si.si/si, and ge/ge) or can you get it set so everything sounds good no matter where the switches are set? I was considering using an old byoc fuzz face pcb for a hybrid fuzz face. I like to use ge for some things and si for others but wouldn't want to strap 2 ff's to my board.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

Sigesmundninja

I haven't really had time to try it out that much. The way i have the trimpot set now sounds good in every combination but I'm sure It could be even better if I tweak the trimpot a bit more but for now its stays where it is and it works just fine. The BC109 aren't handpicked so I should probably try to get a hold of a matched pair from Banzai. the BC109 squeals a bit when the fuzz is cranked and I was thinking that might be to much gain from the transistor(?) I would appreciate your input on that subject.

raulduke

Really nice build mate. Top marks!

Oscillations can be caused by the Trannies being to high gain. This can be tamed by swapping the transistors out for lower gain versions, or putting a small cap across the transistors base and collector (ala D*A*M Meathead, Coloursound OKF).

In your case I would try swapping the trannies out for a low gain pair.

Good luck with it mate!

Bluestrat

Fantastic build! Love the retro look and super clean all around. Where did you source the enclosure and did you have any issues drilling the steel?

Sigesmundninja

Thank you guys!
i got it from pedalenclosures.com. I highly recomend them, they were not that hard to drill actually.

dwstanford

Beautiful pedal.  I love those pedal enclosures enclosures. 

DutchMF

Now that's industrial-looking, I like it! And cool that your Si/Ge switching works so well! I'm really suprised that the bolt you used to mount the main board isn't shorting anything out. Very nice!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

TNblueshawk

Great looking build. I love their enclosures but I don't love the price thus I have not gone for it. As a one off I'm in, but I can't bring myself to order say 10 of them or so.
John

Sigesmundninja

Oh god, NO! 10 items plus shipping to sweden plus taxes and customs... that would ruin me

DutchMF, there's actually a lot of space on the manglerboard to drill hole for a mouningscrew, but it might be a litte tight if there are transistor-sockets in.

sgmezei

Dude I really love your build. I have been wanting to do this but haven't wrapped my head around how I want to do the switching and the bias trim pot for Q2.

Awesome look. Awesome Build!

LaceSensor

damn. Thats tidy as hell, looking really really good there.

eldanko

droooooooooooooooool
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

Sigesmundninja

Thank you everybody!

pryde

Fantastic build man.

I have a "basic" mangler with the CV7112 trannies and really dig it. I can't imagine how versatile and cool your pedal sounds.

Hats off  :o