News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Foxrox Paradox TZF

Started by Jack5, March 14, 2012, 04:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack5

Awesome photos Sigesmundninja!!

I've never done a trace before but happy to give it a crack and happy to receive some help ;D

Sigesmundninja, I am thinking that we may need a couple of lot more pieces of info from you.

Things I can think of:
Cap values 70
Hidden/obscured resistor values about 10
Diodes 5
One transistor
Trimpot values 3

Offboard components

Pots
Speed 100kA
Manual 50kA
Depth ??
Env 50kA
Regen 100kB
Mix - dual pot???
TZF 100kA

Resistor from mix pot lug to ground bus wire - is there only one?

Component from Speed pot lug to ground at Manual pot.

Two resistors on the back of the board 470K

Wiring arrangements for the Modulution and Audio connector pins.

Modulation pins
White - to Common1 of DPDT TZF polarity footswitch
Brown  - Both?? wipers of MixA and MixB
Green1
Yellow1
Green2
Yellow2
Yellow3
Yellow4
Blue - Wiper of Speed pot
Red - hot lug of Manual pot
Green3
Yellow5

Audio pins
Blue1
Green1 - Hot lug of Regen pot
Blue2
Blue3
Orange1
Red - not clear whether to common or one of the throws to polarity footswitch
Blue4
Orange2
Blue5
Orange3

I have annotated one of your pics Sigesmundninja link here

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/120/annotatedcomponentsidep.jpg

Mr resistor code reading is whitebelt - is anyone up for validating a few resistor codes?

Just spent 5 hours on this and haven't even started any pcb tracing yet :o

and how do you work out traces under components?

badgerific

I'd be up for buying a board or two to build this up if it get's done as I'd love to have a play with one :)

Effectsiation

Hey guys, just wanted to say great work on this so far! I've always wanted to build a TZF!

Jack5

i've had a couple of sessions trying to make some progress on this.  really difficult without access to the actual pedal as there is a lot of guesswork trying to work out where the traces go and I'm not skilled enough to be making reliable educated guesses.  In any case there are many component values that cannot be determined from the pics alone.

Need help from someone who owns one.  Might try over at FSB.  Is it OK to post a link there to this thread?

Effectsiation

Jack5: I may be speaking out of turn here, but I don't think anyone here would mind that. Many MBP designs get their genesis from research done at FSB.

Jack5

Bought one on ebay - arrived today.  Its awesome.  Haven't opened it up yet.

Bret608

I'd love to see this turn into an actual project! Best of luck tracing.  :)

LaceSensor

Quote from: Jack5 on September 27, 2013, 01:52:55 AM

vintagecharlie

Quote from: Jack5 on September 27, 2013, 01:52:55 AM

This post made me, a long time lurker on this forum, to register, just in order to  say that i would be really grateful if you could trace it and this would be come a project. As, just as you stated in your first post in this topic - it seems to have the ideal prerequisites for a project - crazy resale price, not produced anymore, etc. I'm really looking forward to this and wish you good luck!

Jack5

:'(   finally opened it up.  not good.  I think this board has more than two layers.  Tracing is going to be a nightmare.  Does anyone have any tips for tracing boards like this?

LaceSensor

the TO220 package is a JRC317

the ICs which are hard to read are LM386N (x4, DIP14)

the heatsinked DIP8 is a JRC 4556 AD

vintagecharlie

It would be fantastic, if there would be a way to get this project going. I have searched high and low for good DIY alternatives, but none of the solutions and sound samples sound really convincing. And then some working units are not really user friendly - you have to tweak and re-tweak each time you change some of the settings, etc. The Paradox TZF does the zero flange perfectly and you can dial it in in many ways AND it seems to be simple to use from a user perspective, but the price of used units is off limits.

Govmnt_Lacky

All we need are 2 things....

1) Someone willing to offer up the pedal for RE.

2) Our BEST MBP RE artist to go over it with the fine tooth comb  :o

Lets Get 'R Done!!!  8)

LaceSensor

Quote from: vintagecharlie on June 04, 2014, 09:39:34 AM
It would be fantastic, if there would be a way to get this project going. I have searched high and low for good DIY alternatives, but none of the solutions and sound samples sound really convincing. And then some working units are not really user friendly - you have to tweak and re-tweak each time you change some of the settings, etc. The Paradox TZF does the zero flange perfectly and you can dial it in in many ways AND it seems to be simple to use from a user perspective, but the price of used units is off limits.

There is a nice project called NZF (near-zero flanger) over  on one of the "other" forums
It sounds reallly epic!

For what its worth the EHX flanger hoax does a brilliant TZF, albeit mono. It will also go far more cray cray than the Paradox.

The problem with RE the Paradox is that its just so massively complicated.
I might take mine apart when I get time and do some good scans of the PCB and stuff but noone is even sure yet if its just a 2 layer board (although I would say 99% sure it is)