News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Formula No.5

Started by raulduke, March 08, 2012, 09:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulduke

Heres my Formula No.5 clone built on a PCB I had fabbed by Dorkbot.

Betty, my new tele, in the background is pretty apt for the 'Keefness' of this pedal.

I like it.

Its really cool for rhythm/blues playing, but I can't imagine the widdly lead guys/shredders would get much mileage out of it.

With a booster in front of it it can almost get into fuzz territory which is cool.

Hope you like the pics!

jubal81

Looks great. Rustoleum hammertone?

How would you say it compares to the original?

I did a layout for this and Laen should it should be here in a couple weeks - my first Dorkbot project.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

nzCdog

TNblueshawk

Look fantastic RD...as usual.
John

raulduke

Cheers guys,

Yep its Copper Hammerite. I kinda love the stuff  :)

I don't own a real C'Bread Fo.No.5, but from what I have heard from clips etc. it sounds the same to me.

Really nice tone. At high gain it is a really unique tone; kind of 'my amp is going to explode' like distortion!

Very Neil Youngish at high gain with H'Buckers.

Jubal81: Looking forward to seeing your version mate  :).

Ettore_M

Hey, Raulduke! Great job on that! I really like the finish!  ;)
How do you apply the hammerite? With spay can or paint brush?

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

cjkbug

I really like all the demos I've heard of this pedal. And I am rather partial to fender amps. I keep meaning to get around to putting one of these together. this is a handsome build too! it's moving to the top of my to do list.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

jkokura

I should start doing all my pedal promo shots on telecasters. They always look so awesome.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

raulduke

Cheers Guys,

Tele's are great looking guitars for sure.

Ettore; I apply the hammerite with a sponge and kinda 'dab' it on to get the textured effect.

I'm getting a few more of these PCB's fabbed so will probably offer them for sale here when I get them.

slimtriggers

Have you had the opportunity to compare this to the LaVache? 

Ettore_M

Quote from: raulduke on March 12, 2012, 03:09:08 AM
Ettore; I apply the hammerite with a sponge and kinda 'dab' it on to get the textured effect.
Thanks, raulduke! I really want to try the hammerite, because I love that hammered effect since I first saw it on John Lyons' (Basic Audio) builds.

Hector
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

raulduke

Hi Slim,

Never tried a Lavache mate.

JFet overdrives (when done properly by Catalinbread etc.) have such a lovely dynamic to them IMO; the notes seem to decay really naturally compared to op-amp overdrives.

Everyone here seems to love the Lavache though so I may build one up.

Basic Audio builds are the No.1. Every build he posts is faultless. Plus he loves hammerite as much as me  ;)

shawnee

Really nice job. Where did you get that LED?

I built the Formula No 5 and the LaVache. I thought that the LaVache sounded more like a real Tweed Deluxe. That being said, the Formula sounded great (and it's all opinion anyway).