News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Yet another newbie cap question

Started by jimilee, November 24, 2012, 10:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

So I want to build a cave dweller and I have a question with regards to caps. The only cap that is specific to type is the tant cap,everything else just gives values,and doesn't specify box or otherwise. Does it matter as long as the values are correct?  ;D
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

PimpMyTone

Caps values in nano Farad are film caps
                   pico  Farad are ceramic caps
                   micro Farad are electrolytic caps

Good LUck !  ;)

Simon

jkokura

Quote from: jimilee on November 24, 2012, 10:06:40 PM
  So I want to build a cave dweller and I have a question with regards to caps. The only cap that is specific to type is the tant cap,everything else just gives values,and doesn't specify box or otherwise. Does it matter as long as the values are correct?  ;D

Generally, the type of cap is user choice, not anything else. I prefer to use film caps wherever possible. The main reason we don't in some instances is either cost or size related.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimilee

Quote from: jkokura on November 25, 2012, 06:58:47 AM
Quote from: jimilee on November 24, 2012, 10:06:40 PM

Generally, the type of cap is user choice, not anything else. I prefer to use film caps wherever possible. The main reason we don't in some instances is either cost or size related.

thank you. There is a conversion table I found listed here that converts to the different values http://www.csgnetwork.com/capcodeinfo.html so the pf , uf nf thing didn't make sense to me because you can convert MicroFarad to and from NanoFarad,and when i looked at builds I see different types of caps.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

fuzzymuff

Quote from: simonsix on November 24, 2012, 11:04:16 PM
Caps values in nano Farad are film caps
                   pico  Farad are ceramic caps
                   micro Farad are electrolytic caps

Good LUck !  ;)

That is correct, but C10 calls for 1uf and the layout looks like it calls for a film cap.  That through me off when I as ordering the parts for it.  Now, I'm waiting for a 1uf film cap to finish building the cave dweller. >:(