News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mud Bunny / Grunt Box versions

Started by bigb1984yaherd, March 21, 2012, 05:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigb1984yaherd

So I built a Violet Rams Head and love the thing. I want to build either the green russion, mayo, or creamy dreamer. Any one know the tonal differences. I kinda want to build the GR because the name is awesome but I feel it will be far to close to the VRH. How does the mayo or CD differ? Any suggestions?

mgwhit

bigb1984yaherd

While this is a very nice site it doesnt really answer my question about the Mayo version or the Creamy Dreamer.

mgwhit

Here's the bit on the Creamy Dreamer: essentailly a Russian Big Muff with tons of gain.  Don't believe the hype.

He suggests that the Mayo is similar to the Cornish P-1: essentially a very articulate Violet Ram's Head with less of a mid scoop.

bigb1984yaherd

Ahhh got ya I guess I did not read close enough. My apologies and thank you for the help.

bigb1984yaherd

Any recommendations on any version to build, I guess im more lost on what I want to build that I thought.

jkokura

I'd build the op amp. The other Muffs are all just different flavours of the same thing. The transistors are really the major difference maker, so it doesn't much matter which version you make if you use the same transistor type. But switching to Op Amps would make a large difference.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigb1984yaherd

How would I go about that? Which op amps should i look at using?

mgwhit

While the op-amp Big Muff is definitely a different flavor, you can't build it on the Mudbunny board.  GuitarPCB.com has a board for it if you're interested (which uses 4558's).

I love my VRH, but I'd like to do a Green Russian at some point.  I think they're different enough that it's worth having both.

bigb1984yaherd

Im thinking of doing a green russian with 1n34a's and possibly something like a 2n4444 in place of the 2n5088 if that would work to change a feew things up. I always socket the trannies so It should give me some room to play around and see what sounds i get out of it.

DutchMF

After reading this thread (and the supplied links, thanx mgwhit!) I decided I'm gonna order 2 Mud Bunny boards; one for experimentation (sockets everywhere!), which should be a great learning experience, and one to build my perfect Muff after all the experimentations. Gonna take a while though.....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

bigmufffuzzwizz

It's funny to read that article about the creamy dreamer, it looks like its been updated since I last visited. I feel like I shouldn't refer to any muff as "creamy dreamer", more so just the mods that are represented.

Quote from: bigb1984yaherd on March 21, 2012, 05:58:05 PM
So I built a Violet Rams Head and love the thing. I want to build either the green russion, mayo, or creamy dreamer. Any one know the tonal differences. I kinda want to build the GR because the name is awesome but I feel it will be far to close to the VRH. How does the mayo or CD differ? Any suggestions?

I do some of the "creamy dreamer mods" on my VRH muff. I've yet to build a mayo version, but hype put aside Jacob is right that transistors play such a huge part in the overall outcome. All the clones are more than likely modified versions of the original offered circuits(but the musket is very cool!). A good way to experiment is order all the parts and use a breadboard. Build the circuit, change the components between the different versions (it's that easy). They all follow the same schem (except the original lil guy "muff fuzz" and the op amp version). Civil War-Green-Black is only 5 or 6 component changes. Find the version you like and then figure out the mods that you can do. That's how you'll tweak it exactly to what you want via input caps, emitter mods, limiting resistors, different transistors. Some people enjoy low gain hfe, some people high gain and some like a combo of both! I love the emitter mod but not so much the sound of increasing the limiting resistors. Makes the pedal sound more like the high gain of a chunk chunk rather than adding more muff gain. Might sound good on another version but I love the clarity and sustain quality of the VRH circuit. So you could say I do half of the CD mods  :)
I meant to build all the version but I'm still stuck modifying my VRH muff... :'(

Do any of you do the tone stack lift mod? I think that's the reason I haven't replaced my BYOC Rams head Muff from my board..Its just such a good vintage muff tone!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

juansolo

Here's a spreadsheet of component values. Might help. Muffs can sound really different.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Matt

Quote from: juansolo on April 03, 2012, 12:21:59 AM
Here's a spreadsheet of component values. Might help. Muffs can sound really different.
Does anyone still have the big Muff spreadsheet?
Thank in advance
Matt

jimilee

Quote from: Matt on July 04, 2020, 07:01:18 PM
Quote from: juansolo on April 03, 2012, 12:21:59 AM
Does anyone still have the big Muff spreadsheet?
Thank in advance
Got an email I can send it to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.