News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rangemaster with a blend pot instead of a mids switch

Started by humanoid_bob, April 08, 2012, 11:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humanoid_bob

Hi,
Newbie here with a question I know has been asked before. I'm starting my first build in the morning, a Rangemaster with a blend pot instead of a mids switch. Since spst switches and pots both have 3 lugs, would I wire the blend pot the same as the spst in the project wiring layout?
Ex: wire the M pad to lug 1 on the pot and the T pad to lug 2 and lug 2 jumpered to lug 3?
Or would I connect the T pad to lug 3 and jumper lug 3 to lug 2 as shown for the GGG Easy Face Fuzz which I came across while searching?
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_ff5_lo_easy.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a
Or does it even matter if its wired to 2 or 3 as long as they're jumpered together?
Thanks,
Brad

sgmezei

Hey dude check this out. I believe it should work better for what you are after. You can mount the caps right off of the pot. Just make sure they aren't grounding out on the enclosure.

midwayfair

Quote from: humanoid_bob on April 08, 2012, 11:02:32 PM
Hi,
Newbie here with a question I know has been asked before. I'm starting my first build in the morning, a Rangemaster with a blend pot instead of a mids switch. Since spst switches and pots both have 3 lugs, would I wire the blend pot the same as the spst in the project wiring layout?
Ex: wire the M pad to lug 1 on the pot and the T pad to lug 2 and lug 2 jumpered to lug 3?
Or would I connect the T pad to lug 3 and jumper lug 3 to lug 2 as shown for the GGG Easy Face Fuzz which I came across while searching?
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_ff5_lo_easy.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a
Or does it even matter if its wired to 2 or 3 as long as they're jumpered together?
Thanks,
Brad

I just did one of these on Brian's board.

You want the smaller cap to be always connected, so it goes in C1. IIRC C1 gets connected to lugs 1 and 2 of the pot. C2 gets connected to lug 3 - as you turn up the pot, it will gradually roll it in.

If you connect 2 and 3 together instead, I think the pot will just work backwards (just make sure the smaller cap is always connected to the jumpered pair, or you'll be defaulting to a much darker tone). It might also react a little strangely, I'm not sure. You could try it. It's not too hard to swap it back if it doesn't do what you want.