News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fleet Beacon Delay AKA Sea Urchin with "sound to light" lightplate

Started by chromesphere, March 24, 2012, 04:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Yo!
Decided to go a bit crazy with the LED's with this one. Robert henry reckons i've "broken the record" lol.  its a Sea Urchin Delay with a Light Plate. There are 7 UV Led's in the light plate. The Light Plate uses Robert Henrys (dead astronauts) "sound to light" schematic...well, its just an LM386 amplifying the output pretty much, So the lightplate flashes with the output signal. Its simple to get going and if i dont mind saying so, looks freaking awesome :D

Anyway, i have recorded a "build report" and "demo".  Love this one in every way. Anyway, Hope you like too!
Paul

Build Report

Effect Demo
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

nzCdog

marmaliser

Love it ,  the videos are great and I think  I may have found something to do with the 386's I bought ages ago by mistake

cjkbug

I got blisters on my fingers!!!

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jubal81

Nice work! That's one of the best sounding DBD clips I've heard, actually.

Here's the thread link and layout from dead astro:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=82843.0
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jtn191

sweet! this is one idea I've wanted to try. did you buy your lightplate as plexiglass or as the Tone God's lightplate on diystompboxes?

the3secondrule

I totally read the header as "Fleet Bacon" last night, which made no sense, but sounded delicious  ;D

Sweet build, BTW - i really need to give the sea urchin a go - i'm always put off my the noise issues with PT delays, but this could be the one...

J
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

chromesphere

Cheers guys.

LOL the3secondrule!  You have no idea HOW HARD i concentrated whenever i wrote that name.

I made my own lightplate.  Its a bit of work, but im getting better / faster at it. I reckon its looks cool, ill be doing it again for sure.

One thing i forgot to mention in the build report, the chip for the sea urchin, im pretty sure i used an LM1458N, i didnt have any TL072's on hand. Not sure if thats what makes mine sound 'special'.  :-\

This is the same layout as the one posted previously, except it has a capacitor added to increase the gain of the 386.  I didnt try the chip without the capacitor so i dont know the difference. Might want to add that cap if it doesnt work properly.  Also, dont add more then 2 waterclears in a row or the voltage drop will be too great and it wont work.  YOu have to add them in series with a 50-100 ohm resistor to ground in pairs.

Paul

bigmufffuzzwizz

Wow. What a great sounding delay! I recently finished my Rebote 2.5 and enjoy it very much but this is even more of what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing this demo!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

chromesphere

The rebote sounds like a 'cleaner' delay, but to be honest i think the PT2399 sounds better when its set up with low-fi repeats, as in the sea urchin.  They sound surprisingly different. 

Maybe a comparison video between the two might be useful for people to see / hear the difference.

Paul

slimtriggers

Very cool!  I'm definitely going to try this!

If you go "in" from the effect's output will it flash to the delay repeats?

Thanks for taking the time to post all the vids, btw.  They're all very much appreciated  8)

chromesphere

No worries mate, glad you like em!

Yep, pretty sure thats how i wired it up (effect output -> sound to light input).

Paul

culturejam

Now that's cool!

I also read it as "Fleet BACON" and was intrigued.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

slimtriggers

Quote from: chromesphere on June 29, 2012, 08:52:55 AM
No worries mate, glad you like em!

Yep, pretty sure thats how i wired it up (effect output -> sound to light input).

Paul

Thanks :)  I should have watched both before posting, the first video answered my question within seconds.