News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Weener

Started by Jargo, March 26, 2012, 01:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jargo

Hi,
So I finished (?) playing around with my Weener and I knew going in that it could turn out ok - I used 1/2 watt carbon comp resistors for everything (tight squeeze in some instances) using stock values throughout (including caps & trannies)

I'm quite satisfied, specially since I a/b it against a mid 90's CryBaby 535 (not the Q version) - and find that besides missing a bit of "quackiness" in the low mids my output volume could be higher - I will revisit later tonight after the kid is asleep and add a lower (33k?) value to R1 to hopefully match the output volume that the CryBaby was giving me - then, there's also a bit of high frequency "air" that my weener is missing. I wonder if it will "regain" it so-to-speak once I change the value of R1 - could it be the result of using the carbon comps???

I really do like it otherwise - the dead-silent Ikar pot is so cool!!

Any advise and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you much!

frankie5fingers

FWIW.  I just finshed one also.  There's much posted here on various mods.  I followed the general consensus and would up with simply THE BEST wah I've ever had in 40 plus years, which included most of those considered the state of the wah art.
Eliminated the freq pot, making the only feeback cap the 3n9 or whichever you put in there.  I have the 8N2 in C5.  I have a .01uf cap in C1, which expanded the range considerably.  A 220 in R4 for a little more bass now that the range is so great.  Timbo's 2n2925's are the greatest in Q1 and Q2.  I also put a 47K in R2 to increase the output that was lost with the mods.  Based on your comments, I'd urge you to try these things - I could not imagine these few mods would make such a profound change in the character of the wah, but they did.  Check Jakefuzz and Timbo's suggestions, they make this one fantastic pedal.

Jargo

Thanks Frankie!
I did some tweaking last night and did change the values for C1 (I'll put back .01- it did make the range less-than) and C6 which did open up the high frequencies a little bit more - I have one more 2N2925 that I will put into Q2. This is getting very exciting!

I'll try to get some pix and maybe a demo as well.

Cheers

frankie5fingers

Hey Jargo.  I didn't change C6, I changed C5; from 3n9 to 8n2.  The C6 is attached to the freq pot.  I removed that pot completely.  It looks like once the freq pot is removed, it takes C6 out of the circuit - Jakefuzz or Timbo correct me if I'm wrong.  But either way Jargo - these few things give it the best sweep of any wah I've ever played, and make this a real standout.  I carried wahs around for 20 years - I always thought about leaving 'em behind - I'd never leave this one.  I think I may make a few for some friends. (Just don't use a metal DC jack)

JakeFuzz

Yep i just left out the Freq control pot and it opens up the sweep range considerably, looking at the schematic the second feedback capacitor is out of the circuit when the pot is lifted so you can just leave it in if you want. Definitely the coolest sounding wah I have played, you can move the feedback cap to a rotary switch too and add tons of versatility. The higher feedback cap values give almost an envelope filter type of sound, my buddy has already recorded one of his album tracks with it!

Jargo

Yo Frankie and JakeFuzz!!

Thanks gents, I did catch that! I haven't gotten around to do in it yet. I may have some down time in the next day or so. I can't wait.

Dennis.

@Frankie - Is there a song (or songs) that would give me a reference as to what your build sounds like?

What kind of gear do you use while playing with your weener? Ha!

When I have time to play I use mainly a modded 80's MIJ strat (custom shop '54 pups) into an early 90's VHT Ultra Lead100 paired with an Ampeg B42-X 4x12 cab - The amp gets treated to different setups and micing as its constantly used at one of the studios I work out of. Sometimes with pedals, sometimes without, different cabs, reamping, etc, etc.