News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Using "pot condoms" with PCB-mount pots

Started by Bret608, March 27, 2012, 07:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hi all,

I picked up some of the Guitar PCB pot condoms on sale just to try 'em out. Have any of you found that these are hard to use with PCB-mounted pots? It seems like they make the pot a bit taller, thus making the pot terminals unable to get all the way through the PCB holes. Just wondering if other folks have made this work alright. It seems like the Tayda-style dust covers wouldn't have this issue--am I right?

Thanks!

Bret

mgwhit

Yeah, I think the "reservoir tip" on those pot condoms make them just a hair too tall.  You could try to snip the tip (which would leave a small exposed area, but still provide plenty of protection) or just go without them.  The rigid nature of the PCB-mount pot lugs should keep the board well off the backs of the pots, especially if you have three or more pots spreading the support across the board.

DutchMF

I've never used pot condoms, but I've started to slip a small square of anti-static foam (Banzai ships their IC's with the pins pushed into the stuff, so that's where I get it) between the pot and the board. All the protection I need!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

pickdropper

The Small Bear ones work well too and are only 7 cents or so.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

TNblueshawk

I've used Barry's condomns on all my builds. On the PCB mounts I have not had a problem but I solder the PCB mounts first and then bend back just a touch and slide the condomn over. All is cool. No issues.
John

alanp

I've trimmed ice cream container to size and used that for my builds. It's cheap, and you can cut it to the exact shape and size you need.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

DutchMF

Quote from: TNblueshawk on March 27, 2012, 01:52:02 PM
I've used Barry's condomns on all my builds.

I never use Barry's condoms, I'd rather buy my own. Recycling has it's limits........  ;D ;D

TNblueshawk

Quote from: DutchMF on March 28, 2012, 08:29:39 AM

I never use Barry's condoms, I'd rather buy my own. Recycling has it's limits........  ;D ;D

But if you order in quantity you can get such a great deal  :o
John

DutchMF

Quote from: TNblueshawk on March 28, 2012, 09:29:42 AM
Quote from: DutchMF on March 28, 2012, 08:29:39 AM

But if you order in quantity you can get such a great deal  :o

Let's see if Barry can keep up if the demand increases......  ::)

(OK, this one has reached the limit, let's use our time and resources for something usefull.... Lot of fun though, thanx!)

Bret608

Ha! I didn't know this thread would unleash such ribaldry! Awesome!

Seriously though, thanks for the pointers...I think I may try out a couple of different methods and see what works. I've got enough of the little guys to cut one up a bit and experiment. Paul, I've got some of that foam that comes with the ICs as well. I had no idea it was antistatic!

jkokura

Quote from: Bret608 on March 29, 2012, 07:12:56 AM
Ha! I didn't know this thread would unleash such ribaldry! Awesome!

Ribarldry = word of day.

You win the interweb today.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Bret608

Awesome! I have Jon Lovitz's SNL skit from back in the day to thank for even knowing that word in the first place!