News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Zygote build, Black Fuzz

Started by sgmezei, April 03, 2012, 12:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgmezei

Here is my latest FUZZ project. I used a road rage and a wicked board from Haberdasher. A pair of Russian GT402's that sound pretty good right now. Socketed a bunch of parts to experiment.

The enclosure is from Mouser. I got a couple funky ones from them to try out. I am sure they will be posted soon.

By scottmezei at 2012-04-03

night-B

Such a nice build! I love this enclosure. Unfortunately, shipping from mouser to EU is prohibitive...

DutchMF

That is one cool fuzz! I'm a sucker for that finish from Hammond, durable as hell! Kinda looks like a UFO......

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

DutchMF

Quote from: night-B on April 03, 2012, 12:24:24 PM
Such a nice build! I love this enclosure. Unfortunately, shipping from mouser to EU is prohibitive...

He night-B, I'm not sure what you mean by "prohibitive", but a few weeks ago I got free shipping when I ordered over 75 euro's....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

gtr2

very cool!

love the bakelight knobs

josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

nzCdog

Man that is one cool lookin pedal!  Do the enclosures come prepainted Scott?
Nice job 8)

night-B

Hey Paul!
I think my order wasn't big enough 'cause I had nearly 20€ of shipping to France. I'll give it a try with a bigger basket ;)

Haberdasher

Dude, that is bad!
Love those knobs too.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

sgmezei

Quote from: nzCdog on April 03, 2012, 01:05:26 PM
Man that is one cool lookin pedal!  Do the enclosures come prepainted Scott?
Nice job 8)

I got this enclosure already coated. They had 5 or 6 colours and plain. Pretty Funky Purple will be the next one I post up.

lincolnic

Much like everyone else, I'm digging those knobs...do you have a link for those, by chance?

Diamond

Quote from: DutchMF on April 03, 2012, 12:27:15 PM
Quote from: night-B on April 03, 2012, 12:24:24 PM

He night-B, I'm not sure what you mean by "prohibitive", but a few weeks ago I got free shipping when I ordered over 75 euro's....

Paul

Didn't you have to pay customs and taxes (invoerrechten en BTW) for such a large out of EU order? BTW, Musikding.de also sells an enclosure that looks like this one! I don't know if the sizes are the same though: http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php/info/p3107_Hammond-1590STPC.html They're based in Germany, so shipping within the EU will probably only be slightly more expensive than within country.

At the topic starter: I have some Russian germaniums just like that, GT404's. They are the NPN version of your GT402 and sound great in fuzzes! Uber cheap, just the GT402's, and can be used without a Road Rage board.

Looks great with the large knobs btw! Did you socket nearly every resistor? What were the results?

sgmezei

The knobs are the WKRCA from Weber seen here:
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/knobord.htm

They are awesome and worth the price tag hahaha. The bigger the better. I see these on Universal Audio preamps and they have an even bigger version of these. Wish I could find them.

lincolnic

Thanks for the link...definitely going to be on the lookout for an excuse to use those in the future.

claytushaywood

cool  build man... how much are those enclosures running?
also, did you try the it308s in there?  did the 402s sound better?  this is gonna be my first build with the zygote and ill experiment for sure, but just wondering what youve found?

sgmezei

Both kinds of trannys sound awesome but I had sockets in this one and the legs in the 308's are so scrawny and fragile they don't like to stay in. They work fine in the SIP sockets but these larger ones for vintage trannys are a bit bigger.