News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wire recommendations?

Started by claytushaywood, April 04, 2012, 10:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claytushaywood

I'm all out of wire... at least stuff that I can fit into boards that I currently have.  I am looking for recommendations.  preferably stuff that can fit into smaller holes.  haberdasher makes some great boards but I have trouble fitting even 22g wire into.  I could probably get prebonded 22 in there though.  but i cant tin it myself and get it in there.

Is thicker wire really better in pedals?
It seems like prebonded stuff is easy to fit wherever I need it.  anyone have a good inexpensive source for it?  is small bear where its at?

also really been digging the ribbon cable people are using for pot wiring.  anyone got a good place to get it all?  Ive heard some recommendations for guitarpcb's wire... apparently its stranded but can hold its place like solid core.  does anyone feel solid core really improves a build beyond aesthetic?  i'm interested in all superstitions, mojo and practiced truths!

alanp

I've heard that Ken Fischer liked to use vacuum cleaner power cords, because they'd been 'run in' with lots of power before he got to them  ;) (Don't know how much truth there is to the story or the mojo, but there you go.)

In ultra-high gain valve amps like Fischer's Trainwreck Express, I've heard it said that the type of wire used matters, since with the gain in that monster the Teflon stuff can get microphonic, or something.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

night-B

I only use smallbear's prebonded wire and this great stuff!
You can find mil spec teflon coated wire on eBay, teflon won't melt easily with the iron next to it...

claytushaywood

Quote from: alanp on April 04, 2012, 10:45:27 PM
I've heard that Ken Fischer liked to use vacuum cleaner power cords, because they'd been 'run in' with lots of power before he got to them  ;) (Don't know how much truth there is to the story or the mojo, but there you go.)

In ultra-high gain valve amps like Fischer's Trainwreck Express, I've heard it said that the type of wire used matters, since with the gain in that monster the Teflon stuff can get microphonic, or something.

haha wow thats interesting.  yeh i'm not into high gain stuff at all (i really think a tweed fender can sound 10x more wicked than any mesa) but building one is a long term goal of mine.  just to tackle all the problems you can encounter in high gain amps.

TNblueshawk

I can't speak to the hole issues for you, but I've gotten Small Bears 50ft strands before which were good. Some of the best I used was Barry's over at guitarpcb. Never had an issue with these fitting into any PCB. I just ordered a 100ft spool from Mammoth but have yet to try it out for the first time.
John

nzCdog

The smallbear prebond is very easy to use.  I have started using 22AWG solid core recently, just tacked some onto an order from Tayda as a punt, and it turns out I quite like it

jubal81

Quote from: TNblueshawk on April 06, 2012, 08:53:03 AM
Some of the best I used was Barry's over at guitarpcb. Never had an issue with these fitting into any PCB.

I wish Barry's wire wasn't so expensive. I'm so spoiled now I can't stand to use anything else.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Bluestrat

+1 on the Tayda 22awg solid core. I've used most of the others mentioned here but I really like solid core the best. Stays where you put it, fits into sockets and stays there, easy to strip and solder. Takes a lot less fussing over and it's cheap from Tayda.