News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

chunk chunk / dr. boogie

Started by eniacmike, September 19, 2010, 11:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eniacmike

It took me about a week to figure out what was wrong with my build, I used 1n4001 for the diode instead of 1n4004 as soon as I switched it out it sounded great.

I was originally going to try to make it look exactly like a mesa boogie but I could only get 5 chrome domes from small bear, and they are out of stock at the moment. I then decided I would want to switch the knob layout a little bit because the mesa channel has presence top left and master in the middle and I figured it would make more sense in a pedal format to keep the master volume on the left and gain on the right.

paint is testors one coat lacquer lime ice
water slide decal with hp lovecraft
clearcoat is minwax spray polycrylic x 3

I am going to try to make a demo video tomorrow, it's too late right now to do one.

It sounds excellent the tone section is VERY powerful. it seems to ignore pickup selection and tone controls on your guitar takes over control of your tone. It really captures the high gain metal crunch sound with tight bass and fast tracking quick decay. it almost sounds gated.

I have no noise problems it is very quiet for me.

Chris McCullough

Chris McCullough

eniacmike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_zIqtMaOyM

Chunk Chunk demo into solid state marshall clean channel. excessive use of pick squeals, dive bombs, and palm muting. I tried it with the dean razorback and the les paul and I ended up liking the les paul better.

gtr2

Great look on the pedal!  Sounds nice in your demo as well.  I've got a early 2 channel model Dual Rec that I have played for years and I can hear hints to that tone.  With the Les Paul it sounds much closer.  If you had a mesa and your current setup in the same room you could probably dial it in a little closer.  But nothing matches the real deal.  ;)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Nice demo! What's the secret number code on the hand??

gtr2

Does the pedal double as a time machine.  It's dated 10-20-10  :o
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

eniacmike

Quote from: madbean on September 22, 2010, 07:32:38 AM
Nice demo! What's the secret number code on the hand??

Order code for tuna with no salt added.
I wish it was some secret transistor code or something cooler.

eniacmike

Quote from: gtr2 on September 22, 2010, 08:17:23 AM
Does the pedal double as a time machine.  It's dated 10-20-10  :o

HAHA whoops. I can't be expected to be responsible for things that happen at 3 am.

pigyboy

Are you grounding the shielded cable?

eniacmike

no I didn't know you were supposed to ground it. This is my first time working with shielded cable in a pedal.. how do you ground it?

I have to say I had no noise problems with the pedal the way it is so I probably won't mess with it, but I am building another one so it would be nice to know how to do it right.

jkokura

At one end (or both) you connect the shield braid to ground. So on a jack, you'd connect the centre cable to tip, and the braid to sleeve. It's pretty easy.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

pigyboy

Hi Guys,
It is like Jacob said but I think you are supposed to only ground one end of the shield. Grounding both ends can cause ground loops which can cause noise.