News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Travel in the sign of music...

Started by PerS, April 09, 2012, 12:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerS

Hi

Yes, I know... a bit off topic, but this is my favorite place on the net and you always come up with great ideas, so I thought I try to use your local knowledge here... Me and a friend of mine planes to go to US next year, probably around March/April. The thought is to either fly to Chicago and stay there for a couple of days. Then rent a car and travel down to like St Louis, Memphis and Nashville. Back to Chicago and off back home. Alternative is to fly to New Orleans, stay for a couple of days and drive up to Chicago  and pass like St Louis, Memphis and Nashville on the way. From Chicago then  back home. We probably stay for about 10 days totally.

...or... and here were you come in... What is a must to experience when we go there? Places, music, attractions... The main idea of the trip is to listen to music – blues, rock, jazz, county... we like it all (maybe in that order;-)) and we want the real thing. The exact places is totally open but in this neighborhood. We will also do other things to experience US and the places we visit, but the music is the red line. The travel plan is rough and open for ideas.

Please let us know your suggestions and favorites...

//Per 
//Per

redbean

Fly straight to New Orleans, then go from there.  ;)

Mardi Gras in 2013 is on Tuesday, February 12. So, that may be outside your intended travel plans.

However, New Orleans Jazz Fest regularly occurs for two extended weekends at the end of April and early May. See this year's line-up: http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/events/2012/04/27

I guarantee you will have a great time! If you want another opinion, ask Madbeaner Haberdasher.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!! 8)
es là-bas!!

timbo_93631

If you are going to the south, consider going to Austin, Texas.  There is a diverse and awesome music scene there and Austin City Limit's new theater/sound stage where there are great acts all the time.  Not to hard to reach if you are planning on hitting NOLA.  Of course you could just go to NOLA for 10 days, and it wouldn't be enough time.  I love that cajun music.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

PerS

Hi

... and thanks for the replays. Good suggestions. Austin, why didn't I think of that. Seen so many music videos recorded from there. I will bring it up with my travelmate. And if it wasn't for him I could stay in New Orleans the entire time or the close neighborhood, but he has restless legs...
Mardi Gras will probably be to early, not for the southern regions but for Chicago. As coold as in Sweden. Jazz festival would be cool. No doors closed.

It does not have to be the large scenes. Small places, "unknown" musicians with the feel and the genuine is as important... Hoping to come to some of the Chicago Blues club's, ea Buddy Guy, would be fun.

Again, thanks.
//Per

//Per

timbo_93631

If you are willing to travel a little more in Texas you could go to Lukenbach.  It is about 70 miles west of Austin, an hour's drive more or less.  A very interesting place to kick back, pick guitar, and drink beer.  Flatpicker heaven.
http://www.luckenbachtexas.com/
Sunday Handwound Pickups

irmcdermott

If you want country... come on to Nashville. On any given night there is live music all over Broadway in all of the honky tonks and bars. That part of town is really touristy and parts are a little cheesey, but it's full of music if that's what you are looking for. As you get closer to your trip, take a look at what shows may be happening at the Ryman Auditorium when you are in town. Historic venue to check out. Check out the Mercy Lounge, 3rd & Lindsley, the number of venues downtown where you can hear music is ridiculous.

Any other Nashvillians out there that can chime in?

jtn191

wherever you are, try to catch the Charles Bradley/Budos band tour. I'm seeing them tonight--SO PSYCHED  :o 8)

mjcyates

If you go to Nashville check out Roberts Western World. I have seen some incredible guitar players there.

TNblueshawk

I would only recommend Nashville for your country fix. As an avid blues and jazz lover, trust me on this. But if you are here and want some blues the only place I can recommend is Burbon Street Blues and Boggie Bar in Printers Alley. Has a New Orleans style set up inside. Otherwise Chicago blows Nashville away for blues. Jazz, get your fix of course in NO. I'm not a huge fan of dixieland jazz but for a vacation I can dig it.

+1 on the Ryman suggestion too. Some great acts come rolling through there, blues or country or whatever.
John

dwstanford

If you're coming to Memphis, you should hit the big stuff lik sun records, stax, graceland, etc., and be sure to get your fill of the food.  If you like barbecue, be sure to hit The Rendezvous or Interstate BBQ.  If I were you, i would take the hwy 61 scenic route along the Mississippi River delta and plot out a tour of blues sites along the way.  There's alot of info online you can plan your route from.  I've done a few blues excursions from new orleans up to chicago that were really awesome.  If you are an elvis fan, or just a fan of weirdness, you should go to Graceland Too in holly springs, ms ( about half an hour south of memphis.).   It's basically a crazy guy who takes you on a tour of his house full of elvis stuff (most of it is junk).  Really interesting way to spend an hour and five bucks.  (you could also go through Tupelo, Elvis's birthplace)

I'd also have to say +1 for Austin, Tx even though it's a bit out of the way.  It's easily my favorite city (besides Memphis, of course).  Great music scene, great food, and i think I could spend ten days just at the Alamo Drafthouse.

jcuempire

Quote from: irmcdermott on April 10, 2012, 11:13:09 AM
If you want country... come on to Nashville. On any given night there is live music all over Broadway in all of the honky tonks and bars.

And one of the best guitar shops in the world , IMO

TNblueshawk

Quote from: jcuempire on April 12, 2012, 12:47:00 PM
Quote from: irmcdermott on April 10, 2012, 11:13:09 AM
If you want country... come on to Nashville. On any given night there is live music all over Broadway in all of the honky tonks and bars.

And one of the best guitar shops in the world , IMO

Gruehn's?
John

PerS

Hi
Again, thanks for all the replies and engagement in this... Big thanks. Also sorry for a late response, my work make me a bit antisocial at this moment. But, not less interested in your opinion around this subject. My conclusion is that 10 days in not enough...

dwstanford, you hit a point close to our plan at this moment. Where did you find your big moments when you toke your trip from New Orleans to Chicago. What you describe is something close what we plan. If you have more detailed it would be awesome.

Also this about great guitar shops is interesting, like Gruehn's. Is there shops that is a must. My travel mate will probably kill me, absolutely not interested in stomp boxes and guitars... how anyone can be that... and how I can chose a travel companion no interested is another question, probably because I want to see more than guitar shops and music in general :D
But for sure there is no doors closed to different routs. Austin, how could I forget about that for example... That's a good example that could change our road map. I have written down your suggestions and it will be a part of our plan.

So just add in... I'm reading and take notes.

Again, thanks for your feedback

//Per   
//Per

jcuempire

timbo_93631

Now that photo is remarkable.  I mean.  wow.  I'll take anything from the top row please!
Sunday Handwound Pickups