News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

That Brown Sound

Started by pryde, April 07, 2012, 01:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryde

Been watching demos of the Wampler Pinnacle and man does that pedal nail early VH. Unfortunatly, I cannot not justify dropping $200 on one of these  :o

Has anyone built a madbean project that is similar or REALLY close to the Wampler Pinnacle? What did you build and/or modify to get that holy-grail brown sound. Thanks in advance for sharing.

slimtriggers

I'd say Boneyard.  Haven't built the Uproar, but that would probably be similar as well.  Maybe even the Grapevine.  Those are all Marshall-y type pedals.

DutchMF

If you want to buy something, you might want to consider MI Audio's Crunch Box. Does Marshall sounds real well and can be had for about $120 new, used probably for way less. Plus, there are schematics and layouts for it all over the internet, I have one (unverified!) with an added TMBP tonestack added, PM me if you're interested. Project-wise, you could also check out the Boomstick/Krankosaurus. Haven't tried them, but reading the docs gives me the idea it might be what you're looking for.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

pryde

Thanks for some suggestions. I built a Grapevine before and never really jived with the pedal so I sold it to a member here.

I have a vero layout for the plexi-drive but I am guessing that is more of a punchy-crunchy AC/DC type sound. Will look into a Boomstick or Uproar

pietro_moog

search for BSIAB 2, i think the pinnacle to be similar. i like the BSIAB (namely brown sound in a box), but
myself i preferred the crunch box, less van halen, more crunchy-hi gain.
the box of rock is nice, but it's more a vintage, more open sound.

shawnee

The Boneyard kills the BSIAB and boomstick in my opinion. I like it better than the uproar too.

pryde

Quote from: shawnee on April 09, 2012, 03:46:33 PM
The Boneyard kills the BSIAB and boomstick in my opinion. I like it better than the uproar too.

Cool. What do you like about it better than the others mentioned?

shawnee

The boneyard sounds more like a real amp and is less compressed. I run mine at +/-15v so 30v compared to a pedal running at 9v is huge. You can run it at +/-12v without any changes other than feeding it with a 12v supply instead of a 9v supply. It will make a BIG difference compared to +/-9v. In a typical pedal, the more gain you have, the more compression (and usually bass) you get. I reduced the gain on mine a lot and it still has enough to get the 80's hair band sound out of it. I have tried the Emma Reezafratzitz, CMATMODS Brownie, Wampler Pinacle, Suhr Riot, and who know what else but there was just something about them that sounded fake. I was going for MARSHALL tones though so if you want something different you may not agree with me. I would not trade my modded boneyard for any pedal on the planet for Marshall tones.