News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My first klon

Started by 9Lives, April 09, 2012, 01:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9Lives

I just etched a sunking and finished putting it all together. I used 2 bs170 mos for clippers. Got them socketed for later. Also accidentally forgot to order dualgang 100k.. But I figured I wouldn't be using this as a distortion pedal so I used a d gang 50kb pot and added 51k resistor to both 3rd lugs. Still same effect without being able to be fully cranked?  I'm not all that thrilled w this at full clockwise. I like this better as a dirty boost.  Are the ic's worth swapping? It's pretty nice sounding but I definitely don't understand what all the "hype" is about. That's why I build it.. Bc I didn't have access to one. Does the original klon have the charge pump in it or not?

Ang3lus

as a standalone OD, i don't like it either, but its real magic is when you use it on a really nice distortion pedal, or a really good cranked amp.

jtn191

It's really supposed to shine as a boost (no gain) or low gain OD

9Lives

I like it in front of my quasar. Rc boost. They go pretty well my dr boogie in between those to. I havnt tried it w my passive pickup yet. Just active blackouts. Honestly the buffers one of the better parts of the pedal lol. Imo. What diodes did yall use? The only Ge I have is the 1n30a or whatever they called. I never care to much for those in clipping. I'm not giving up on it yet. Do you think what I did w the 50kb dual is working good? ,I can't compare. Remember, I'm using more as a boost.

Haberdasher

Yeah, I like mine as a boost/treble boost or as an od into a dirty tube amp.  If you've built a jfet circuit like a faultline it sounds real good pushing one of those.

But no, just as a straight od into the clean channel isn't my favorite way to go with this one.  Others may disagree.

I used BAT46 diodes in mine, BAT41's sounded good too.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

9Lives

the only sckotty I have is 1n5817 (ithink that's what it iss) it looks like 1n4001s. Are those worth a go?