News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Drill hole size for 1/4" jacks

Started by Bret608, April 12, 2012, 07:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hi everyone,

I have a question on drill hole size for 1/4" jacks. What's an ideal size hole for most jacks out there?

The reason I'm asking is that I just got my first drilled enclosure from PPP  (for my in-progress Pork Barrel). For reasons I can't quite recall, on the drilling template I provided them, I went with 11/32" for the hole size. I think I thought that's what I was seeing on the Pork Barrel drill template. Anyway, the hole will accomodate one type of jack I have, i.e. these cool-looking ones I got from LaceSensor in his holiday PIF. Some Neutriks I have don't quite fit though.

Is 3/8" a more standard size?

Thanks,

Bret

jkokura

Yes, I think I usually use 3/8".

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Bret608

Thanks! I appreciate the guidance as always.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Some parts will vary in size..3/8'' is general and all jacks should fit through. I've had some that are smaller so they won't hold tight in place..Those held really well with 11/32. So yes your right on your questions.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

midwayfair

Standard metal jacks I use 3/8. I had to use something slightly larger for the low-profile plastic jacks that Bean suggests for the mini builds, but I can't remember what I used. It might have been 7/16.

DutchMF

I'll help out the metric people: 10 millimeters  ;)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

alanp

Simple soul that I am, I eyeball which drill bit is closest.

The way to test it is to drill a hole in a spare bit of wood, and see if the component fits, and if the hole is too big or small.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

DutchMF

I love to get these insights in how everybody has their own methods. I measure every part with a caliper micrometer.......  ::)

TNblueshawk

Quote from: DutchMF on April 28, 2012, 01:41:46 PM
I love to get these insights in how everybody has their own methods. I measure every part with a caliper micrometer.......  ::)

Ha! Usually I'm that OCD but for some reason when I first started I used the unibit and just made sure I went slow and would dry fit it as I went. Now of course I pretty well have them all memorized.

The only issue is the DC jack. That one is so easy to screw up and overdrill it...at least with the uni's I have right now.
John

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

TNblueshawk

Quote from: gtr2 on May 01, 2012, 10:29:39 AM
Measure once, drill twice.  :o

I've been on the wrong end of that too many times  ::)Let's see. There is:
- Tile cutting. Screwed up that so many times I don't even get mad
- Hardwood flooring. I have even screwed up cutting the end piece where you have the bass mold and quarter round as an "error window"
- Building a hot tub house around my hot tub.
- Any and all wood work projects
- Etc...
John

DutchMF