News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dual Reverb

Started by aflynt, April 15, 2012, 07:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aflynt

Quote from: gtr2 on April 19, 2012, 02:59:26 PM
When running these in series the noise is most likely from the "bricks"  Just like running two pt2399's in series.  They add noise that needs more filtering.

Josh

I was starting to wonder about that. Are they actually PT2399's inside? Based on the 3 I've built, I've noticed that these bricks seem to vary in sound from one to the next. That or the part tolerances of my caps and resistors are playing a bigger role than I thought. Some have slightly longer decay and some sound less brash when you turn the mix up and play something percussive. They also get seem a bit warm after being powered on a while.

-Aaron

jkokura

I think I read that the Belton bricks are essentially three PT2399s in series.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

neiloler

Really? Thats kind of funny, especially considering the package size.

Really cool PCB design, do you happen to sell those?
OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

aflynt

Quote from: neiloler on April 19, 2012, 04:29:09 PM
Really? Thats kind of funny, especially considering the package size.

Really cool PCB design, do you happen to sell those?

Thanks! I don't sell them, but I'd be willing the share the .brd file with anyone that wants to send it off to Dorkbot.

-Aaron

gtr2

pt2399's sound a little different too

Here's the patent for the belton brick

http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachments/12200d1293998429-pt2399-reverb-patent.pdf

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

stecykmi

I'd hate to suggest a green-wire fix for such a beauty of a build, but perhaps a little more filtering on the power supply rails might help with the noise. you can check if it's your power supply by running the effect off a battery temporarily. Alternatively (and this is totally just speculation), there are a lot of digital chips running on one power supply and digital chips can junk up ground with noise that can carry through the analog circuits. It's a very common design practice to keep analog and digital grounds separate and only connect them at one point.

In any case, gorgeous build, the double reverb mode sounds interesting.

bikescene

Your build looks amazing. It's really neat inside.

aflynt

I replaced the carbon films with metal and it really didn't make much of a difference in hiss. I didn't try the additional filtering yet, though. I did do a clip with the two sides running in parallel into my '68 Showman, though. :) The noise really isn't that bad all things considered. It's barely noticeable in a quiet room.

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/aflynt/dual-reverb-pedal-on-7-into[/soundcloud]

Please excuse the sleepy playing. I literally got out of bed and recorded this.

The signal chain is as follows:

Strat on Neck Pickup -> Gizmo (TS9/Son of Screamer Variant) -> Visual Volume pedal splitting signal:
A ->Dual Reverb Side 1 with Mix on 7 -> '68 Showman Normal Channel
B -> Dual Reverb Side 2 with Mix on 7 -> '68 Showman Vibrato Channel
-> Forte 3D 1x12" speaker cab with Jensen C12K

In parallel the reverb is much more dense and you don't hear the individual delay taps as much.

-Aaron

DutchMF

I'm usually not a big 'verb fan, but that is one heavenly tone you got there, man! And playing when you just woke up apparently does wonders for your phrasing, sounds real good!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

aflynt

Quote from: DutchMF on May 08, 2012, 03:52:00 PM
I'm usually not a big 'verb fan, but that is one heavenly tone you got there, man! And playing when you just woke up apparently does wonders for your phrasing, sounds real good!!

Paul

Thanks! I'm really stoked about the sound too. I think running both preamps on the Showman opens the amp up quite a bit too. Usually I run an A/B rig between the channels one set up clean and one dirty, but Saturday night I got lazy and just brought my small board without the A/B switch. The only cable I had with me long enough to get from the board to the amp was my double one so I figured I'd just try it out with the channels jumpered. Anyway... to make a long story short, the rig sang and sustained like crazy set up like that.

-Aaron

bigmufffuzzwizz

You did such a fabulous job on this! Its impressively clean on the inside and the outside. Im sure it sound like gold..

Just saw the demo a few post up..oh boy that sound great!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

aflynt

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on July 02, 2012, 04:22:27 PM
You did such a fabulous job on this! Its impressively clean on the inside and the outside. Im sure it sound like gold..

Just saw the demo a few post up..oh boy that sound great!

Thanks!

-Aaron

mhievtach

awesome project. can you PM schematic /layout for me

GrindCustoms

Beautiful Built in and out and sounds fantastic.

Is there any particular reason why you went with that brick package?
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

mhievtach

i just really want build it, but i can't find this schematic.. what this is a secret??