News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Vero Sabertooth w/ Subs Switch

Started by greyscales, April 21, 2012, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greyscales

This isn't so much a technical problem, but I am having issues with the way this pedal is working compared to my other Sabertooth builds. It was built using the schematic from Madbean's diagrams. The only difference was I added a subs switch between the EQ and Volume pots.

The problem is that the sound is much more midrange-y, maybe in the upper mids, and I don't have the range of fuzz using the guitar volume knob as I do with the other builds. Is there any part to look for where this could be going on, or perhaps it is the subs switch?

As is, the pedal works and is usable. Just not as usable as it could be.

The caps I used on the switch are 68nf in the middle, 100uf (polarized), and 33nf.

stecykmi

I'm not fully clear on where you've placed the caps, can you draw it on the schematic? or describe it more clearly?

greyscales

I used the first layout for the board itself.
Between EQ 2 and Vol 3, I put the cap switch in, which is pulled from the 1590A layout. So I essentially combined the two.

stecykmi

Hmm, that configuration doesn't really make sense to me... I think it was intended to make the effect more suitable for guitarists by cutting the bass. I also try and avoid electro caps in the signal path when possible (although that's personal preference).

In any case, make sure the standard build is working correctly by jumpering the switch. Once you're happy with that, play around with the values. A series cap always works as a high pass filter. With that in mind, the middle setting gives you 0.068uF (a bass cut), the lower setting gives you ~0.1uF (68nF + 33nF) (sub-bass cut), and the upper gives you ~100uF (all pass).

greyscales

Why doesn't it make sense? That is what I was expecting it to do, and what people claimed it would do.

I'll try taking it out when I get the chance and see how it works.
As is, the lower setting gives a bass boost. The other two sound exactly the same, just less bass.

Thanks for your advice though.

stecykmi

i think it's funny to call it a SUB switch when it actually cuts bass, that's all.

greyscales

Good news: I found out why it sounded so different. C1 and C2 were accidentally mixed up, so the input was off.

I ended up taking out the subs switch since it really didn't do anything significant after I got it working. Instead I put the impedance control in. Had to remove R1 to do it, which took me a while to figure out. It's not a dramatic effect, but it is noticeable. More so than the switch was.

I must say, this was good for helping me understand schematics a bit more and how to figure out my own tech problems.