News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cleaning residue from back of PCB

Started by Bret608, April 23, 2012, 06:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

What do folks here like to do in terms of cleaning that sticky residue from the back of the PCB once you're done soldering? I tried some plain ol' rubbing alcohol to no avail!

Thanks,

Bret

marmaliser

i use a Naptha based lighter fluid and a tooth brush

jimmybjj

I generally don't but when I have I used lighter fluid (or denatured alcohol) and a toothbrush like marmaliser
Pcbs no longer available

pickdropper

Quote from: jimmybjj on April 23, 2012, 06:49:26 AM
I generally don't but when I have I used lighter fluid (or denatured alcohol) and a toothbrush like marmaliser

This.  Usually, I just leave the flux.  If I do clean it, a toothbrush with Naptha works.  You can also get dedicated flux remover from Techni-Tool.

If you do remove it, be careful not to get it in any sockets that you have on the PCB.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Bret608

TNblueshawk

Wasn't it Jacob that did a hell of a tutorial on this?

I use 99% alcohol, tooth brush and use one of those cans that you use to clean keyboards (and some idiots inhale for God's sake) and blow off the excess alcohol...this was all per Jacob's (I think) tutorial.
John

Bret608

Hey that sounds good! Let me see if I can find that!

bigmufffuzzwizz

I also use the alcohol method. Doesn't get the stuff off 100% but definitely so its visually presentable, if that's what your after! I should get some Naptha, sounds like good stuff for many uses.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals