News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what kind of MOSFET should I use as Clippers

Started by raydee, April 23, 2012, 09:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raydee

Hi everybody, my first post here.

I´m a newborn pedalbuilder from Sweden. So far I managed to build a taptremolo(musicpcb),
a mosfet boost, buffer and modded my double truebypass-looper with a blend function.

Now I´m planning to build a Slow Loris, and I´m interested to try MOSFETS in the clipping-diode-section.
Which MOSFET should I use? Is there any standard to try first?
For me(I´m really inexperienced) there are so many to choose from.

Is it to much to ask for if you(experienced ones  :)), can suggest me 3 diffrent types that I can try out?
Or doesn´t it matter?

My english is not so good but I hope you understand something :)

Maybe I should say that I´m a bass-player

DutchMF

Quote from: raydee on April 23, 2012, 09:20:51 AM
Maybe I should say that I´m a bass-player

Nobody is perfect.......

Just kidding, welcome to the forum! It is my understanding that you can use any MOSFET as a clipping diode, but the 2N7000 (see the Egodriver documentation) is a popular one. I suggest you socket the clipping diodes, so you can experiment with diodes, LEDs and MOSFETs. There is a lot of variation to be had in the clipping department!

Feel free to post your tech questions here, but be sure to read the Rules on getting Tech Help, to make it easier for the knowledgable folks around here (not including myself, I'm a relatively new builder and still trying to learn as much as possible) to help you!

Good luck, and also be sure to post some pics of your builds under Build Reports, so everybody can enjoy them!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Sigesmundninja

I cant really answer you question but I would like to say welcome to you from another swede!

9Lives

I use bs170 for overdrive tones. 2n7000 is ver similar with the gate and source reversed. Connect the drain and gate and use as a diode. It doesn't really matter which direction you put them as long as you make the opposite (to my understanding) also try putting a germanium diode on the leg of the source on one of the mosfets. 2 ge diodes sounds like sht  IMO. I am a big fan of the bs170 X 2 w 1 Ge diode gives a very sweet sound. It's softer w/o the Ge diode and more crispy and defined W it. If your going for a more "heavy" or "metal" type sound try the IRF520. It's a bigger physical transistor with the metal thingy on top. But I used those in my first rat clone and really dig it. Unfortunitly in the end.. I realized I could on do "so much" with the rat. My signals are just to hot for it. I just couldn't perfect it. I highly recommend NOT obsessing over the rat as  most of us have. Do your self a favor and move on to the egodriver when you start over tinkering with the rat. It is what it is, and nothing more. That being said. These are just my  opinions. It's a very popular unit loved by many. I don't have any experience building pedals for bass but I hear the sabertooth is pretty badass for bass. Not sure if it's still available. With some digging you can find one. Anyway those 3 mosfets are really all I've tampered w/. Just try that Ge diode. You will love it.

night-B

Sorry I never used mosfets in clipping section but my favorite are 2 bat41 in series for smooth clipping and red leds for hard clipping...

raydee

thx for all your kind answers, and you delivered them fast too :)

I guess I have to try a couple of them to see if it is anyone I like more
than the other. The germanium diode sounds interesting.
Maybe in the end I´ll go with the "stock"-diode.

thx again

9Lives

I really think you should try it. Listen to a clip of the fulltone OCD on youtube. That uses the 2n7000 mosfets with the gate and drain attached along with 1 ge diode. Personally I love it.