News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My First RangeMaster Build

Started by whitebread47, May 01, 2012, 02:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitebread47

This is the third pedal I've built so far, the first with no immediate issues.  The caps were just whatever I had/found cheaply in those values.  The transistor is an OC75 I got from Smallbear.  The wiring is very sloppy, that's my biggest need of improvement I think.  I may order various Ge PNPs, but this one works just fine.  With an overdriven AC15 and boost engaged, I get a nasally Brian May tone for days! 

Man, this hobby is addictive.  I can't wait to show off the Flapjack and Yellow Shark I'm building, and I plan to spend more time with my wiring on those.  ;)

Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

greyscales

Really love that color. Did you get it from PPP?
Also, did you not use an LED? I've tried that before, but I psych myself out about not knowing when it is on.

whitebread47

Quote from: greyscales on May 01, 2012, 02:58:27 PM
Really love that color. Did you get it from PPP?
Also, did you not use an LED? I've tried that before, but I psych myself out about not knowing when it is on.

Yep, it's called Reptile Green IIRC.  I noticed that VFE appears to use PPP exclusively.  I think the VFE "The Scream" comes in this color, but it looks lighter on VFE's website.

Being such a noob, I wanted to keep things at a minimum with positive ground Ge effects.  The battery will last much longer without an LED drawing on it.  I know what you mean about the on/off confusion, though.  My upcoming builds will have DC jacks, LEDs, and possibly no battery snaps.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

chromesphere

Quote from: whitebread47 on May 01, 2012, 02:20:07 PM
Man, this hobby is addictive.

My wifes going to start looking at intervention if i dont stop building :D

Dont worry too much about your wiring, you'll get better.  Doesnt look too bad anyway?  I reckon if you just moved those wires above the jacks to below, it would look pro.  I usually spend, 5 mins after i finish a build with plyers / tweeser and move everything around so it looks neater.

The easiest way to wire up pos ground with DC jack imo is the road rage.  using just the inverter part of the circuit, you only need about 5 components approx, 3 caps 2 diodes (and the IC of course) or something like that.  Check it out for your next build if you looking at incorporating a DC jack with it.  

I recently built a rangemaster for hte first time and im impressed.  I can see why its so popular. Such a nice sounding dirty boost, germ clip on clean channel sounds sweet, and it mixes well with the gain channel on my amp as well.

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

whitebread47

Thanks for the support/advice.  I've got a madbean Pastyface that I'm using the Soulbender specs on, and I plan to incorporate a DC jack, so I may order a few Road Rages to play with.

I just realized you're the guy with the youtube channel I subscribed to recently.  Man, your vids have helped me more than you'd know!  I'm excited when those notification emails pop up.  Thanks for being yet another fine example of the globally supportive DIY community!
Blake

chromesphere

Yep, that is me!  Glad your finding the info in the videos useful & thanks for the sub!

I've seen that reptile green color before. I was  :o then as i am now.  Love it!  PPP seems to beat the pants off mammoth powder coating.  I recieved a sparkle enclosure from mammoth (you can see it in my p45 video) and they didnt even undercoat it with silver. IE you can see all the blemishes of the aluminium enclosure.  Although i'm new to powdercoating, the first thing i learnt was to UNDERCOAT WHEN USING TRANSLUCENTS/TRANSPARENTS...!!!  Also, whatever they used, you could chip it with a cotton bud. Not very impressed.

i reckon if you tucked the input cap switch wires underneath the board, bent the in / out wires so the look neater (run them along the end of the enclosure) and shorten the batt snap wires (they look a bit long) it would look pro! Also twist batt snap wires. Jacob had a cool video tip for twisting the batt snaps. check it out:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=4627.0

Good luck mate!
Paul

Bret608

This is a timely post for me! I'm trying to finish up my Pork Barrel (2nd build ever) and I'm sweating it over the wiring. Paul, I like your tip about arranging the wires after you've got it all buttoned up. I tried to be a bit smart about it, or so I thought, as compared to my first build, but I've ended up snapping off both stranded and solid core wire as I attempt to get it all nicely in place for final soldering.

I'm a recent subscriber too! Can't wait for the Tonepad Small Clone demo--build report was great.

I like your Rangemaster, Whitebread47! Your were smarter than I was on my first build as far as going with PPP for the enclosure. Mine was from Mammoth and I ended up clear coating it right away because it already looked slightly damaged (just around the holes, thankfully) and I didn't want it to get worse.

chromesphere

Tone small clone demo is done :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1g19thyHHI

I dont use much force to position the wires.  Some people are ninjas with solid core, but i've heard alot of people say they snap wires regularly, so i'm avoiding it at this stage.

I sort of, snake the wires around where i'm anticipating i will position them before i make the last solder joint (leave a little bit extra).  Then solder it on, then position, if that makes sense. Thats my method anyway..

Paul