News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rat Shack wire question

Started by Khronic, May 02, 2012, 09:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khronic

Hey all
Just had a noob question or thought about wire...Is it possible to use the 24 guage intercom wire to wire up pedals they sell at radio shack? since it comes with 4 colors. Prob is its not stranded since they say stranded is stronger its just 1 wire and its damn easy to use on pcbs,compaired to their 22 g stranded thats a pain in the rear to use.....just was curios does anyone use it to build pedals...
thanks again and ya all have a good 1

CRBMoA

Wire is wire, it WILL work.

Having said that, I would HIGHLY recommend you avoid solid core wire on your first few builds.

It is, well, solid, which is good. But it does NOT like to be messed with once installed.

Stranded wire can take a lot of jostling after installation, which is a big plus staring out.

There will be mistakes, things you want to route differently, etc.......

I was using some solid core years ago, just starting out, and I had a tendency to break the wires because I was pulling and pushing things in the enclosure while I developed my style. And THOSE breaks are hard to find when the solid wire is cracked but the insulation is still in tact.

I been using the pre-bonded wire Small Bear carries, and because it is pre-bonded, there is no tinning.

My Favorite Wire!

Hands down, my favorite wire.

Khronic

Awesome thank you for that answer see i think im having the same problem i might have a break in a line and debugging a egoboost v2.5 and was like aww man i gotta unsolder this thing...i am out of the pretinned wire atm so i figured id try the single 24g since i had some on hand........thank you again CRBMoA

culturejam

I use that 4-conductor stuff all the time. I peel off one of the wires and use the remaining three to wire pots. So much easier and neater than individual wires.

But, as CRB points out, solid core doesn't stand up to being manipulated over and over again. So if you think you'll be pulling the PCB out and putting it back in 15 or 20 times, I'd go with stranded.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects