News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Roland Bee Baa

Started by LaceSensor, May 05, 2012, 02:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Built this up on a GGG PCB
Sounds really cool in the fuzz modes! Added a switch to bring C7 (4.7nF across E>B of Q3) which tames some harshness and mellows the highs, so essentially 4 different fuzz tones, and a treble booster.
The treble booster is quite harsh and barely starts at unity - so its really a boost.

I can see how this would benefit from some modern changes - ie change the esoteric treble boost to something more usable. But I wanted to build it to the vintage specs.

I added some of my own modern mojo - Bicolour LEDs for the modes, 9v DC power (original was battery only) and making it fit in a 1590BB.

This is going to go to a famous player for him to compare to his original unit for me and maybe make it onto his pedalboard - very excited!

Well worth looking into if you like your interesting fuzz tones.

Bicolor LEDs!

jkokura

That's hot. Nice build lace.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

LaceSensor

Quote from: jkokura on May 05, 2012, 02:56:59 PM
That's hot. Nice build lace.

Jacob

Thanks. Coming from folks who make stuff as nice as you, that means a bunch.

gtr2

Great build Lace.  Wish I would have known you were building one.  I've got a fabbed project I just verified that's a stock version of the bee baa minus the treble boost that fits in a 1590B w/board mount pots.  I could've sent it with the pork loin.  I got interested in the circuit after seeing the black cat version.

Did you notice that it is a bit noisy?  I know the original is a bit noisy and I didn't make any changes except for ditching the boost.  I followed this schematic version:

http://minos.phy.tufts.edu/glocke/sound/beebaa_schem+GGG.PNG

Great build once again!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

LaceSensor

I dont feel its particularly noisy at all actually but then I am not so picky. Ill play it again before I ship it off.

I would have liked to try your layout. Is it etchable?

LaceSensor

Quote from: gtr2 on May 05, 2012, 03:43:56 PM
Great build Lace.  Wish I would have known you were building one.  I've got a fabbed project I just verified that's a stock version of the bee baa minus the treble boost that fits in a 1590B w/board mount pots.  I could've sent it with the pork loin.  I got interested in the circuit after seeing the black cat version.

Did you notice that it is a bit noisy?  I know the original is a bit noisy and I didn't make any changes except for ditching the boost.  I followed this schematic version:

http://minos.phy.tufts.edu/glocke/sound/beebaa_schem+GGG.PNG

Great build once again!

Josh

Try lifting that 4700pF cap across the Q3, changes things a fair bit.
I put it on a switch FTW.

Also what transistors did you use? I found with 2n3904s it was self oscillating in some fuzz settings.
ended up with 2n5088s in all spots...

gtr2

Actually I don't have the 4700pF cap across Q3

I didn't notice that when I posted the link.  Someone drew that cap in on that link.  That exact schematic without the cap was on another site that is no longer up on the web.

I used 2n5088's already.  The noise isn't terrible but it's noticeable when your not playing.  It is a super fuzz/distortion though  ;D

It's not etchable because I couldn't get it tight enough for a 1590B with 3 mounted pots and the bee/baa switch.

I'll ship you out one if your game to try it and let me know what you think.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

LaceSensor

Quote from: gtr2 on May 05, 2012, 04:49:00 PM
Actually I don't have the 4700pF cap across Q3

I didn't notice that when I posted the link.  Someone drew that cap in on that link.  That exact schematic without the cap was on another site that is no longer up on the web.

I used 2n5088's already.  The noise isn't terrible but it's noticeable when your not playing.  It is a super fuzz/distortion though  ;D

It's not etchable because I couldn't get it tight enough for a 1590B with 3 mounted pots and the bee/baa switch.

I'll ship you out one if your game to try it and let me know what you think.

Josh

Definitely game :)

gtr2

consider it done  ;)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

LaceSensor

Quote from: gtr2 on May 05, 2012, 05:32:42 PM
consider it done  ;)

Josh

Big thanks :)
Cant wait to build it, sure itll be cake to wire compared to what I've done above...

Bret608

I love the Bee Baa sound so congrats on an awesome build!

Once when I lived in NYC, a friend of mine who worked at the Columbia U. radio station borrowed my guitar and amp so a Japanese avant/noise guitarist (Jojo Hiroshige) could use it for an in-studio performance. He brought his vintage Bee Baa and wailed away for a good ten minutes--pretty wild! Anyway, he showed me what it was all about in detail. Won't forget it anytime soon! Thanks for getting me all reminiscent!