News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New amp day, new amp day, new amp day......

Started by GermanCdn, May 07, 2012, 12:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GermanCdn

So, after a long week, I got all my stuff packed up in Germany and got back to Canada.  Funniest part of that was doing the customs list and realizing I'd built and boxed 42 pedals in the past year and the box of parts for 60 more.

Anyway, since I hadn't been gear shopping in 18 months, hopped into the truck and went hunting for an amp (notice the singular).  As timing is everything, I managed to pick up not one, but three killer amps.  I got a used Mesa Boogie Nomad 1X12, a new Jet City JCA22 head, and a new Bogner Alchemist 2X12 .  Best part was the price tag for all three came in at under $1600.

The Nomad is a sweet combo, and will probably put my DC-5 onto the selling pile.  Three distinct channels, assignable reverb, 5 function footswitch, takes pedals very well.  Haven't run it through my 4X12 yet, but I I will.

The JCA does not take pedals well, but it doesn't have to.  It wasn't built for the blues, the Crunch channel is killer, the Overdrive is nice, but there is a little bleed through.

The Bogner is...fantastic.  Takes pedals really well, has two very different channels, more bass than any amp I've ever played before.  The only thing I'd change is put a mix control on the delay, so it wasn't so prominent in the mix.

Time to start assaulting the neighbours ears.  They've had an 18 month reprieve.  Now my pedals just need to get here.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

masterlk

I had a Nomad 55 head for my main gign' amp for about 4years...it was a decent amp. I liked channels 1 and 2 but not crazy about chnl 3. It did love pedals...Chnl 2 sounded great with a Cruchbox and BB Preamp. Used it with a 5150 4x12. I loved the versatility and feature set of that amp. Sold it and several other amps for a Jackson Ampworks Britain 2.0. Enjoy your new amps!

BraindeadAudio

sgmezei

Dude you bought THREE amps at once?!? Holy crap! I have been jonesing to try one of those soldano jet city amps. Only place that carries them is Axe. I am up there next weekend though, might be high time to try it.

GermanCdn

Yeah, I picked up my JCA from Axe, it was the only two channel 20 watt they had in stock, although they still have a single channel version of it.

Didn't intend to buy three, but as I was trying out the JCA, they took in the Nomad on trade, and only wanted $500 for it, and from experience, $500 Boogies last about 5 minutes in Calgary, so I had to buy it.

The Bogner was my wife's fault, as she wanted to go to Cross Irons, and while she was looking at jewellery, I dropped into Guitarworks, where they were blowing out their Bogners at $700 a pop.  Couldn't walk away from that one either.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

GermanCdn

Quote from: BraindeadAudio on May 07, 2012, 04:56:41 AM
How much would you be asking for the DC5

Not sure yet, haven't really decided what I am going to do with it.  I suspect I'll use it as trade bait locally, as shipping on it will be ridiculous (it weighs 70 lbs).

sgmezei

Wow dude that is sweet. You got some great deals. I wouldn't have been able to pass any of those up either!

TNblueshawk

John

DutchMF

Quote from: TNblueshawk on May 08, 2012, 09:25:24 PM
Nice score.

Dude, you can't be married  :D

+1 on the "nice score", and no, he can not be married, or he's keeping her heavily sedated  ;)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

GermanCdn

I have to give me wife a lot of credit, she doesn't say anything about my gear collection.  But it comes at a cost, I'm sure.  Just unpacked the boxes from storage, pretty sure there were four U-Haul boxes full of Party Light candles.  Could have bought a new Les Paul Standard with the money invested in that wax.  But I digress.....

Once the rest of my gear gets in from Germany, I'll post pics of my guitars, amps, and pedals.  And one of my wife, lookingly disapprovingly, lol.