News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hurtin for an Urchin

Started by Haberdasher, May 07, 2012, 12:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

I like the LED a lot.  Mind if I ask where you source those from?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Haberdasher

Quote from: gtr2 on May 07, 2012, 05:04:38 PM
It's about time we got to see a build again Keefe  :)

Sweet work!

Josh

Haha, thanks.  I've gotten in a bad habit of building circuits, putting them on the tester, playing for a while and then throwing it in the "circuit pile."  It's a lot of fun, but I don't end up boxing many of them up.  I need to get back to completing more pedals.  I should have a collosalus done in the next couple of days and hopefully more soon after.

Quote from: midwayfair on May 07, 2012, 07:11:17 PM
Heh. Your graphic on the switch makes me giggle.
I think it might look better if I remove the cheesy white washer.  I might take another pic afterwards.

Quote from: whitebread47 on May 07, 2012, 07:46:47 PM
Nice, clean build!  I rather enjoy the minimalist vibe when done right, and yours wears it well.  The transfer on the aluminum looks neat.   I just might have to try out a delay once I get through the mountain of builds I'm currently gasping for air under.

Yeah man, don't let it intimidate you.  This delay is quite easy to build.  Just like anything esle really.

Quote from: jimmybjj on May 07, 2012, 08:51:19 PM
Great looking stuff!
Thanks Jim.  I still have to finish boxing your pancake.  sigh.  I kind of screwed that up.

Quote from: pickdropper on May 07, 2012, 10:34:35 PM
Looks great, Keefe!

I finally boxed up my Urchin.  I gotta take some pics of it.  I really like the sound of the delay.
Dave, yours came out fantastic!  I love the graphic and the led placement.  That's real good work, m8.

Quote from: chromesphere on May 07, 2012, 11:56:33 PM
Nice build!  I find the delay on the urchin hard to describe...its kind of, distant...almost modulated...idk, i just love it :D Blows the pants of my rebote 2.5 aka dust catcher 2.5
Paul
Yes, it is very nice.  I keep wanting to measure it against my echobase, there's something I really like about that delay.  But the urchin is just so different.  It sounds a little more dirty I think.  Which can be a good thing.

Quote from: LaceSensor on May 08, 2012, 09:28:22 AM
thats hot.
Thanks!

Quote from: culturejam on May 08, 2012, 12:14:30 PM
That finish is stunning.

Just checked out the DecalPro system. It looks very, uh, involved.  ;D
Thanks CJ.
That decal system is complicated but using the metal foils isn't quite as complicated as trying to transfer color toner onto a dark background.  There's just a lot of different ways to use it.  I use it so infrequently that I have to go back & read the directions again every time I take it down off the shelf.  So I never have really "mastered" it.  It's pretty cool, but it can also be frustrating.  I'm definitely going to get some regular old waterslides or something else at some point.

Quote from: redbean on May 08, 2012, 09:32:08 PM
Dat's awesome, Dude!  8)

Thanks, Aram!

Quote from: pickdropper on May 09, 2012, 05:53:53 AM
I like the LED a lot.  Mind if I ask where you source those from?
They're actually just a lens for leds, not the leds themselves.  I got them at mouser and you can get them in colors, including a frosted clear one that's pretty cool.  Here's the mfr # for the amber one; that should get you in the right neighborhood.  CLB300ATP
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pickdropper

Thanks Keefe.

I bought some flat top lenses from Mouser, but I think I like the one you are using better.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Guitafuzz

Look awesome Haberdasher!!!!!! I have a newbie question about the resistor on Ground connecction of the 3pdt switch, Dc jack, and ground terminal of the PCB, What is the function of that?

Haberdasher

Quote from: Guitafuzz on May 09, 2012, 08:22:18 AM
Look awesome Haberdasher!!!!!! I have a newbie question about the resistor on Ground connecction of the 3pdt switch, Dc jack, and ground terminal of the PCB, What is the function of that?

Thanks Guitafuzz.

The brown carbon film resistors are actually 0 OHM, so they are basically just jumpers that I used instead of a wire.  No particular reason to use them really.
The darker of the 2 metal film resistors is the clr for the led and the lighter colored one is a 120K ohm pulldown resistor that does a great job of keeping the pedal from popping when it is engaged.  You could probably get by with a 100K there as well.  I hope that addresses your question.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

TNblueshawk

Nice and Kleen. Very cool.  ;D
John

bigmufffuzzwizz

Cool stuff. I'm liking the look of your pulsar decals!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

nzCdog

wow can't beleive i didnt see this earlier!  very nice build!  tidy work :o

Bret608

Keefe, I totally forgot to ask when you first posted this--what size drill hole did you end up going with for the LED lens? I posted a question about that before and you and some other folks helped me out. I used a clear one with a blue LED for my Pork Barrel. I remembered the consensus being that somewhere between 1/4" and 9/32" worked best, so I had PPP do 17/64" when I ordered the drilled enclosure. The hole was just about right--in the sense that it looked right, but was still just a little loose if you turned the enclosure upside down. I just used a tiny spot of super glue to hold it down.

Haberdasher

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on July 02, 2012, 09:24:51 AM
Cool stuff. I'm liking the look of your pulsar decals!
thanks magic!  those decals are tricky to use.  almost impossible to get a full face decal like that without little flecks of it not transferring over.  It still looks pretty cool but I think I might branch out into laser water slides.  The only thing stopping me is some of my own paranoia about fusing a sheet of that stuff to my HP.  :-\
Quote from: nzCdog on July 03, 2012, 12:34:31 AM
wow can't beleive i didnt see this earlier!  very nice build!  tidy work :o
thanks corey! :)
Quote from: Bret608 on July 03, 2012, 06:45:58 AM
Keefe, I totally forgot to ask when you first posted this--what size drill hole did you end up going with for the LED lens? I posted a question about that before and you and some other folks helped me out. I used a clear one with a blue LED for my Pork Barrel. I remembered the consensus being that somewhere between 1/4" and 9/32" worked best, so I had PPP do 17/64" when I ordered the drilled enclosure. The hole was just about right--in the sense that it looked right, but was still just a little loose if you turned the enclosure upside down. I just used a tiny spot of super glue to hold it down.
hmm, sorry dude.  I just did it one size at a time with my unibit until it fit.  I wrote down "5" next to led on a pad though, and the 5th step says it's 1/4".  But I wouldn't necessarily take that as gospel; I would still advise caution.  Next time I do one I'll try to pay closer attention.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:

k.rock!

Dude this looks awesome! I love it...gotta have to check those pulsar decals out.

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

raulduke

R.e. the LED bezel drill bit size.

I use a 6.4mm drill bit and it is just the right size. I don't know if you can get metric bits in the US?

Haberdasher

Quote from: k.rock! on July 03, 2012, 09:09:02 AM
Dude this looks awesome! I love it...gotta have to check those pulsar decals out.

-K
Yeah, it's pretty cool, but like I said- tricky.  And much more fragile than regular decals. :)
Quote from: raulduke on July 04, 2012, 01:34:45 AM
R.e. the LED bezel drill bit size.

I use a 6.4mm drill bit and it is just the right size. I don't know if you can get metric bits in the US?
I just consulted a chart online and 6.4 is equiv to 0.2520" so according to this info, 1/4 should be just about right.

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE: