News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Omitting The Boost On LaVache Question

Started by whitebread47, May 09, 2012, 08:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitebread47

I'm building a LaVache right now.  I had a Les Lius at one point, and am considering just omitting the boost switch/toggle and drilling the enclosure similarly to the Lius with just the shape switch.

So I have two questions, really:  One, does anyone who has built the LaVache highly recommend using the added boost switch (does it add a significant amount of gain)?  Second, if I want to omit it, would I need to jumper anything or could I just not wire up a switch to the boost section?

Many thanks in advance!
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

mgwhit

I finally got the last of my parts in today (including my 2n3565s), so I'm going to breadboard this tonight.  I had the same question about the Boost function, so I will get back with you as soon as I've had a chance to monkey around with it.

As for wiring it up without the boost, just leave the switch out and don't jumper the pads.  The boost switch just bypasses R5 (which increases the gain of Q1.) when closed.

whitebread47

Quote from: mgwhit on May 09, 2012, 09:35:04 PM
I finally got the last of my parts in today (including my 2n3565s), so I'm going to breadboard this tonight.  I had the same question about the Boost function, so I will get back with you as soon as I've had a chance to monkey around with it.

As for wiring it up without the boost, just leave the switch out and don't jumper the pads.  The boost switch just bypasses R5 (which increases the gain of Q1.) when closed.

Awesome, I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

mgwhit

I definitely recommend the Boost switch!

I breadboarded it four ways: 1n914s, 1n914s + boost, BAT46s, and BAT46s + boost, and I liked all four of them.  I didn't bother with the 1n914+BAT46 combo, although I'll probably try it tomorrow morning when I have an opportunity to really crank this.  I used a Telecaster and a 5f2a Tweed Princeton clone with a 10" speaker.

Everything I can say about this is kinda obvious, so apologies in advance.  The 1n914 clipping is fairly light -- I really had to crank the Gain -- but it does put a nice crunch on top of your chords.  The Boost just makes it a lot more obvious and makes it more like a Rat with the Gain turned pretty low.  The BAT46 clipping is more obvious -- earlier onset of distortion -- and just a tad woolier.  The BAT46s + Boost is pure Neil territory (but never got too woofy).  I kinda hate the way the Les Lius is always marketed as Twin/Deluxe (especially since the original circuit was never designed to specifically emulate those amps), but now I totally understand why they do it.

I'm building mine with both switches, and I think I might be using this one a lot!

whitebread47

Quote from: mgwhit on May 09, 2012, 11:55:20 PM
I definitely recommend the Boost switch!......I'm building mine with both switches, and I think I might be using this one a lot!

Thanks for the update!  Yeah, the Les Lius I had definitely did the Tweed Twin sorta thing better than other boutique attempts I've played.  I mainly play a Tele through an AC15, and it nailed the Keefe tones about as well as I could've hoped with a Vox.  This board is nice and small, so I'm excited about throwing it in a 1590B!

I'll be using both switches as per your enthusiastic recommendation.   ;D
Blake