News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

More submini tube stuff

Started by madbean, October 22, 2011, 02:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

The bad news is that my 6011 tubes appear to be duds. Multiple tries to get something going with the couple I have on hand have failed, and unless I've forgotten how to read datasheets and schematics then they must be toast.

The good news is I've caught the bug. I'm working on a few ideas for pedals and mini amps. So, I think this will be the next big area for development after the baby boards get finished.

Don't everyone start asking me "when" yet, though! Keep the suggestions coming on projects you'd like to see and I will take them under consideration. So far, I'm pretty solid on a SMT Rump Roast, a Big Muff-like amp, and one basic OD. I'm thinking a SMT version of the Vox Night Train would be pretty killer, too although I will probably want to get some experience first before tackling that. The ultimate for me would be a tube phaser or univibe  ;D

nzCdog

redbean

Too bad about the tubes.  :-\

How's the HoneyDripper coming along? I'll need a few of those as soon as they're released. ;D
es là-bas!!

lincolnic

Quote from: madbean on October 22, 2011, 02:52:36 AMI'm thinking a SMT version of the Vox Night Train would be pretty killer, too although I will probably want to get some experience first before tackling that.

I'd definitely be into this.

madbean

Quote from: redbean on October 22, 2011, 04:53:50 AM
Too bad about the tubes.  :-\

How's the HoneyDripper coming along? I'll need a few of those as soon as they're released. ;D

The revised prototype should be here today or Monday. If I get that working I'll be including it with the order of the DirtBags and Stage Frights ASAP.

bigmufffuzzwizz

I like what I'm hearing. A big muff tube amp would be right up my alley, already passin the bug to us  :P
I can't believe you said tube univibe...
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

madbean

What I'm thinking on the "muff' amp (currently named the "woof woof") is that the middle two stages will be switchable. So, with them out of the circuit you have a pretty straight forward two stage, master controlled amp. With them in, you get distortion and a tone control. Or, maybe have the tone control available for both. And maybe drop the master volume for stage one. I dunno.

It's not really a muff...but it has the same basic 'topology'.

cjkbug

Quote from: madbean on October 22, 2011, 05:12:12 PM

It's not really a muff...but it has the same basic 'topology'.

You could call it "The muffin top"
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

madbean

There actually already is a MuffinTop project. It's in the extra projects section, I think.

I'm up to something like a dozen possible SMT designs now...a bunch of boosts and overdrives and two or three amps. I'm working pretty steadily on this.

TNblueshawk

This boob would be all over a toob build.
John

JakeFuzz

Take a look at the Hammond organs, some of them had tube vibrato (I think a 6 stage phaser) built in. I actually have one from an L-112. Looks pretty cool although I've never heard it. Everything runs off of the same transformer as the main amp so I would need a separate transformer to run it. I think I read somewhere that Hammond made this to try and replace having to have a Leslie cabinet so it must sounds pretty decent.

bangerang101

It would be awesome if we could come up w/ a project for something like this: http://jjs.at/electronic/class_a_subminiature.html#construction

It's a mini tube head that fits into a 1590b! (similar to the zvex nano head, i guess).

I would love to build this as a practice amp and it would be great for recording or whatever... I just wouldn't know where to start w/ it having tubes, the weird power supply, ect. (I have no expericence w/ tube amp stuff :()
Owner of Luck Duck Pedals (LDP)

jimijam

how bout a submini chunk chunk. recto type high gain monster. or a submini boneyard multi channel preamp/distortion. it might be cool to incorperate the molten voltage multiple preset module into it so you could save multiple settings. small bear has started selling there modules and they look cool as hell.
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!