News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

"A Light Fuzzy Quiche, Comrade"/Whisker Biscuit

Started by midwayfair, May 12, 2012, 10:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

BEFORE YOU COMMENT: THIS IS A VERY VERY OLD BUILD REPORT!

This one's built stock, but I bought up the last of Culture Jam's boards and I'm going to build them over the next few months to get familiar with Muff tone circuits and to have some fun with variations.

Easily my cleanest build to date, and the artwork came out very well, too. (No erasing at all this time!) I'll have to make a demo at some point.

I'd like some opinions on Muff-like variations. I kind of want all eight of the ones I build to be unique. Here's my list of variants so far based on the build docs, my breadboarding, and just some big muff variants I'm aware of:

-Green Russian-ish - a little more mids. My friend has a Green Russian that sounds good for me to compare the voicing with, and the tone control is the same as in Bean's build doc for the Mudbunny.
-Bass version - I need to breadboard it further to control the distortion, but increasing the input cap to 10uF or more brings in a heap of subs. It sounds wicked with a guitar,  I might even go as high as 22uF.
-"Gilmourish" - less distortion (maybe green LED clipping), lower gain transistor, less scooped mids
-AMZ's "rough" version. It's a little edgier and brighter overall.
-Spitty/gated version - a Germanium diode has a really strange character
-"roll your own" - a version with some important parts socketted and a little mod kit. :)

Also, since I'll end up selling the other ones I build (I'm still just not a fuzz or high-gain distortion guy), if anyone has an opinion on what I should charge (I was thinking $65, which is basically cost + my next PCB, enclosure, and switch - I don't really look to make money on this stuff, mostly I just want to help fund my hobby), I'd appreciate it.

lincolnic

neiloler

OLERAudio - Sole proprietor, engineer, and goofball

Jabulani Jonny

LAZARUS...COME FORTH!!  Sorry, raising a topic from the dead to ask one question. 

So, Jon, of your Whisker Biscuit variants, which one did you like the best?  I've got one one I'm ordering parts for.  I already have the Large Beaver from BYOC, so I think I'd like something a little different.  I like the idea of the Gilmourish with less gain.  Hmmm....
Jonathan

midwayfair

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on April 08, 2015, 06:56:36 PM
LAZARUS...COME FORTH!!  Sorry, raising a topic from the dead to ask one question. 

So, Jon, of your Whisker Biscuit variants, which one did you like the best?  I've got one one I'm ordering parts for.  I already have the Large Beaver from BYOC, so I think I'd like something a little different.  I like the idea of the Gilmourish with less gain.  Hmmm....

First, don't even try to build it without using the Darlington in Q2. It's really not worth it.

There's another build report for a whisker biscuit I made with a switch for one of the caps in the tone section. It doesn't completely remove the mid scoop but creates a giant lower mids bump. I pretty much use it for that sound and only that sound. (This build had a mistake on one of the tone caps that does the same thing.)

I ended up not even building the others. There wasn't enough variation between them, and the variations that did make a difference mostly made more noise. The Gilmourish one MIGHT be worth a shot.